Guest network in my access point fails.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jigwashere, Jun 21, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I have 5 and 2.4GHz bands configured on my Archer C7 with corresponding SSIDs on my ASUS RT-AC68U in Access Point (AP) mode, giving me pretty good coverage throughout my house.

Since I have guests, I created a guest network on the C7 on the 2.4GHz band. On its own, it works well, but when I create a corresponding SSID on the ASUS, devices fail to authenticate. The SSID, wireless security, password, etc., are all the same.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

RickAgresta likes this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

My network config renders my C7 into merely an access point. So this is just speculation...

Try a different SSID and PW for your 5ghz guest network.

Also be sure your firmware is up to date. May have squashed this issue in an update.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  3. headcronie

I see... it is early and I misunderstood your comment... 2nd AP causes no authentication.

Hmmm... think think think... I will check with my net admin at work. :)

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  4. headcronie

Bingo - figured this out on my own.

2nd router as AP has no routing. Guest network requires special routing to segregate users. Primary network obtains routing through bridge, but guest will not. If you want this configuration, you will need different hardware. More to come... off to work....

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  5. headcronie

At my desk now. Still fumbling around at work a bit. Hate it when you're working on a project, and dagnabit, you manage to use an infected installer. Pulled my drive, and had to rebuild my workstation yesterday. Still piecing together all the websites I had saved. *grumble*

You might be able to accomplish this, but with an additional router configured as an AP. If you put a 2nd AP/router where you placed your bridged unit, and this time, bridge connect your guest network (don't bridge connect your main network), it should work. Your C7, behind the scenes, is creating the VLAN for the guest network.

So at your guest house, you'd have two APs. One for your main network, and a 2nd for your guest network.

Does that make sense?

jigwashere likes this.
  6. headcronie

Code:
                               / Bridged ASUS (Main network only)
                              /
    Modem  --> C7  -->
                             \
                              \Bridged 2nd device (Guest network only)

jigwashere likes this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

My C7 creates a wireless network for home (bands 5 and 2.4GHz) and guest (band 2.4GHz).

I have an ethernet cable from the C7 to ASUS, and the ASUS is configured in access point mode. This successfully extends my wireless home network on both bands.

Are you saying that my access point cannot/should not also extend my guest network? I can configure a guest network in the settings on the Asus, and I just gave it the same SSID and password/settings as on the C7. It's similiar to how I set up my home network.

Attached Files:

8. headcronie

That is correct. Just as an example, your core network is 192.168.1.x. Your guest network is 192.168.50.x.
    Your ethernet cable is jacked into your core network, and cannot route the 50.x network. The C7 does not have managed vlan capabilities. If it did, you could run another ethernet cable to a 2nd AP, and it would work. As it doesn't, you could only extend with a wireless extender / AP.

.jpg

9. headcronie

This is what I was trying to describe.

.jpg

10. headcronie

Your other solution, would be to swap out your C7 with a router that provides VLAN management on ethernet ports. You could run a 2nd cable to your guest house. Your ASUS could provide your home network at your guest house, and whatever device you jack in on the 2nd cable, could be your guest network. You'd set the VLAN to only route externally, thus it would be a wired guest network.