Graffiti for Android

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by redaudi, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redaudi

redaudi Mobile Enthusiast

I don't know if anyone has posted this her yet,but you can get Graffiti on your Android phone now.
    Go to Market search "Graffiti for Android"
    and you will soon be able to use Grafitti 1,the variations for Graffiti 2 can be used too.
    It's like coming home.
  2. Varjak

Varjak Newbie

If that's true, that would be a HUGE selling point in Android's favor for me. Esp. if it has Graffiti 1.
  3. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

Yup, I just tried it. It is published by Access. And it actually works with your finger. It's quite fast. It wasn't very accurate for me, but I think that is entirely my fault-- I hated Graffiti and never used it. I was very impressed with it's response.

It's pretty basic but it does what it says and I can see this becoming a very fast input methiod for a skilled Graffiti user.

EDIT: Yes, it is Graffiti 1.
  4. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

vdesign, welcome to Brighthand! :)

Graffiti is a hand recognition software that allows the use of digital calligraphy to input data, using a touch-sensitive peripheral. It is the standard issue hand recognition software in the Palm OS platform. Here at Brighthand, many of us use or have used Palm OS devices, BTW discussing this platform was one of the things gave this website its audience and prestige. Thus the former, many of us are familiar with its use and benefits. Others, while not advocates of its use, are familiar to it as well.
  5. Hook

The one thing this has me wondering about... if Access is playing around with Android ports, are they perhaps looking at brining over the Garnet VM to Android?

Ah, where's Lefty when you need him. ;) :rolleyes:
  6. LaLongeCarabine

LaLongeCarabine Mobile Evangelist

Yah Hoo! Hey wait a minute it's Graffiti 1, what about the evil law suit?

Is there a way to get spell check and word replacement to work?
    It's so much faster for me than swype I think I'll keep it.

JLK
  7. Hook

Actually it went through a number of purmutations being sent back and forth between higher and lower courts. I think the agreement ended up being xerox and Palmsource would lay off suing each other. :rolleyes:

If you mean predictive text, Access would have to build that functionality in (no reason they couldn't). Any program that has spell check, like Docs-to-Go, should work for that, but not as you type.
  8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Wow! I've been playing with this all morning, for quick entry it is very fast...and I usually pop out the keyboard for long entry. This may be my perfect input method. Can't believe how good it is even with just my thumb.
  9. Hook

That's what surprised me-- that it worked so well without a stylus. I may finally learn to love grafitti.
  10. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

Yipee! My old friend Graffiti has returned! Thanks for bringing it up here!
    With my big fingers and my difficulty accurately hitting the right keys with the onscreen keyboard (even in landscape mode), I'm happy to have Graffiti available! I wonder how long it's been around now?

I'm surprised how accurate it is in finding the center of my finger. :)

- Tim
  11. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

By the way, does anyone know how to enter control characters (or even a TAB character) in Graffiti? I use ssh on my Android device, and I often have to enter control chars (TAB, control-d, control-d, ESC, etc.). Doesn't seem possible with Graffiti - am I mistaken?

- Tim
  12. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Evangelist

Oh my... might have to relearn Graffiti. I too was never ever to really get into it on Palm. Stylus would not cooperate.
  13. hal

I am not familiar with Graffiti in Android, but if it works like it used to in Palm OS, lessee:

TAB: square stroke up-right.

Command stroke: straight diagonal stroke from down left to up right. In Palm OS Graffiti, this activates the Command Bar, can't tell if it's present in Android Graffiti though.

Cut: curve diagonal stroke from down left to up right, and a counter-clockwise loop in the middle of the stroke, the latter must be done to the general left side of the stroke.
    Or: Command stroke + X (pretty hard to achieve).

Copy: square stroke right-up.
    Or: Command stroke + C.

Paste: curve diagonal stroke from up right to down left, and a clockwise loop in the middle of the stroke, the latter must be done to the general left side of the stroke.
    Or: Command stroke + P. (Command + V in earlier versions).

Undo: stroke to the right and then diagonal to down left with just a little slant.
    Or: Command stroke + U. (Command + Z in earlier versions).

Enter: straight diagonal stroke from up right to down left.
    In many operations involving Graffiti, Enter effectively finishes some operation or moves from one field to another, but this is very dependant on the careful mapping of stroke/key values for a given option, but when text fields allow creation of paragraphs, it'll only start a new of the latter.

I don't know what is that ssh software, so I can't be of any help regarding it.

I suggest you play for a while to see if the Command stroke acts like the Control key, which I reckon was the original intention in graffiti. Perhaps Command stroke + D is the command you're looking for. Just beware that said combination is usually reserved for the Delete command. The Command stroke in Graffiti pretty much replaces the fast combinations in Windows using the Alt and Control keys, i.e. Alt + F, or Control + C, you follow?.
  14. esskay

esskay Newbie

I just got my first smart phone and found that the on screen keyboard was really a drag. Then I found that my old favorite Graffiti is available for Android. Problem solved. Not.

I can't use it to enter an address in the "To" field for a message. The body of the message works just fine but without an address it's useless. As far as I can tell Graffiti works just fine with everything else I've tried.

Has anyone else had this experience? Has anyone found a solution? I'm using a Garminfone. I believe the version of Android is 1.6. Thanks
  15. Hook

Welcome to Brighthand, esskay. I don't have that problem, but I'm on Android 2.2. Grafitti works great for me in the to field for Gmail, texts, whatever.
  16. RickAgresta

RickAgresta boldly battling the XenForo-ces {squeek!!}

Tim, I don't see anything about control characters for G2 (my TX), nor from what I've seen on the web for G1. in fact, unless there is a utility in Android to enter the ASCII value for a character (in whatever base you prefer), I don't know how it could be done, short of using a 'special' keyboard app. sorry :(
  17. hal

Neither have I. As I've described (& you people surely know), a number of special characters are supported in G1 & G2, but control-shifted characters, that one would involve either a reassignation within G1 or G2, like using the Command stroke for Control, or it would involve an app that could work overposed to Grafitti, the way Grafitti Anywhere works, and into which a given stroke could be assigned as the Control key. Tim check into the very application of your interest, cause many of the shifted key inputs from a computer (Control-Key, Alt-Key, Shift-Key) can be already assigned but not in a PC-like fashion, but instead all garbled within a single shifting option.