GPS on a T2

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Shausha, Mar 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shausha

Shausha Newbie

Hi,

I have a T2 and now realise it may have been a mistake as I want to use it for GPS, but everywhere I go they say T3 or T5.

TomTom have just said "it may work, but we won't support it" and they say T3 only.

So a two part question .... is the bluetooth on the T2 the same as on a T3, such that a bluetooth GPS unit would have no problems?

And / or what GPS can I use with a T2? I now know about the Navman 4470 (new I believe), but any others?

S.

2. grahamnind

grahamnind Mobile Deity

I use the RoyalTek BT GPS Mini. Works perfectly on a T2 and a T3.
    I use Mapopolis software. It's a little slow on the T2, but still quite useable. You can try out Mapopolis before buying it.

3. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

The bluetooth isn't the problem. It's the lack of free memory and the slightly different OS. TomTom wouldn't run on any Palm until very recently. It wouldn't be my first choice.

4. jushen1

jushen1 Mobile Deity

Hi Stan,

I am puzzled by your comments on TomTom on Palm. TomTom has been running great on my T3 for almost one year just now; and the other day I had it installed on my Zodiac 2 (also Palm OS), and it runs even better ...

:confused:

5. Shausha

Shausha Newbie

Thanks for the comments, all.

The issues is that I have a T2 and TomTom say their stuff will only work (guaranteed) on a T3.

As an aside. I've been told the odler Navman 4460 and the newer 4470 to replace it will work well. But does anyone know about the - SmartST™ GPS Mapping Software - that it comes with?

6. wolfRx

wolfRx Mobile Evangelist

@Shausha
    What country r u from? If its Europe then the best one is Mapsonic 1.32 (with 3D mode, voice navigation, etc). Works perfectly well on T2! Or you can use Handmap, but it's a bit simplier. There's also DigiMap (not a bad one), but I never tried it in a real situation. And Mapopolis Navigator, of 'cos, with automatic re-routing, street name pronunciation, etc.

If it's N.America - Mapopolis, Handmap, Atlas. Tracker, TripPilot
    The last 3 allow you to make your own maps in GIF or BMP format, but DON'T do it through their Cartographer (just a piece of advice). Make a picture, put it on your card, calibrate it and u r ready to go

7. Shausha

Shausha Newbie

The mapsonic sounds like a goer - just had two separate eMails from different suppliers suggesting that one with the Leadtek 9537 Bluetooth GPS receiver as its pair.

So, off to investigate.

BTW - it's the UK I live in but would want all or most of Europe covered.

Thanks all.

8. rmorrow

rmorrow Mobile Enthusiast

I use Mapopolis Navigator as my GPS mapping software on my Tungsten T2. I currently use a Garmin eMAP GPS unit with a direct serial connection (cables - ugh), but I have also had it working with my Dad's RoyalTek BlueGPS RBT-3000 with no problems.

I would agree in general that MAPSonic is the better software (having seen a demo version). Unfortunately, Michelin refuses to sell it to Canada. (On that note - if anyone is aware of how I might buy it here (Ottawa, Canada) let me know.

Randy

9. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Shausha

I, too, live in the UK. I use NavMan 4460 (SmartST 1.3) and now 4470 (SmartST 3) on my T3. Don't know about a T2, btu the maps 'n' all work fine for the whole of Europe. You'll need at least a 512Mb card, though, if you want the whole of Europe available on the Palm.

10. Shausha

Shausha Newbie

Thanks again for the info folks.

Now it's a matter of saving my pennies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.