GPS Accuracy

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by NetBrakr, Sep 12, 2015.

1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Hi guys,

I tried using GPS with Google Maps on my Grand 2. I noticed it was very jumpy, moving around, not pinpoint location. My previous phones & tabs had no problem. So is there anything I can do to make it better, calibration or something?

TIA

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Even without being connected to a wifi network, I often am asked if I want to enable wifi to increase accuracy...
    Also, there may be a way to calibrate the compass -- check the owners manual, NetB. in general, it involves waving the phone around like a chicken trying to take•off…ymmv :vbgrin:

raspabalsa likes this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

NetB, you can try installing any 3rd-party app that shows satellite coverage for your area. GPS Satellites Viewer is one such app, and one I highly recommed. With it you can see if your device sees enough satellites for a good fix, and it also gives you the level of precision your device currently has. This kind of app works only with the hardware GPS (not with the network) meaning it can help you determine if your device's GPS is working properly.

As for the compass, it shouldn't affect the GPS reading. Devices with compass have a hardware magnetometer independent of the GPS, but yes, they do need calibration often, especially if you use a case with a magnetic clasp. What Rick described above actually means waving the device in a number-8 shape so the compass can be calibrated properly, in other words, like a chicken trying to take off :D :D

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    RickAgresta likes this.
  4. NetBrakr

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

*great, now I need two phones if I want to fly* :p

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. raspabalsa

Not all, NetB... you need just one good phone :D :D

BTW, don't planes have really sophisticated GPS, the kind that would make our device's GPS blush pink in shame?

RickAgresta likes this.
  6. NetBrakr

No iFoney, raspy! :p

Yes, it does! But there is a problem with that, I will be going TOO fast. :p

7. raspabalsa

Ermm... so taking your sight away from your F-15's HUD, TACAN, and AN/APG radar display while flying at full afterburner and look at your phone strikes you as a good idea? Never mind that, should you even be allowed to take your cellphone up there? I used to sneak stuff into school back in my day (of course it was just a magazine or a walkman), but I guess you could get more than just a rap in the knuckles if you're caught ;)

jigwashere likes this.
  8. NetBrakr

:p

I wonder what magazine you took. :eek: *calling Mrs. Raspy* :p

9. raspabalsa

There's a special place in Hell for people who tell on their friends... and guess what? Your favorite devices are not allowed in there:

abandon samsung.jpg

:D :D :D :D

10. NetBrakr

Ouch...Ah well, I guess I will have to sneak them. :D :p