Got Myself M505 and soon M500

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by ProDigit, Dec 6, 2017.

1. ProDigit

ProDigit Newbie

Hi all!
    My new M505 just arrived, and soon I'll hope to receive an M500.
    They were just under $20 each, and I thought it was a nice opportunity to waste $20, to get a feel of what mostly businessmen were able to afford 15-20 years ago when these devices just came out.

I did it mainly for the experience.
    And rather than depend on a more 'modern' Palm device (like a Palm M515, or Palm TX, or something) that has similar performance and setups like early cellphones,
    I wanted the minimalistic approach of a very simplistic, minimalistic operating system; that would work longer than a few days on battery, and were I could possibly learn to program some basic programs to!

I'll be looking forward to reading up here, and learning about Palm OS; getting programs, updates, etc..
    1. So my first quest would be to figure out if I can update the device, with nothing more than the USB cable and an SD card, and if I can find any app updates or new apps to install.
    2. From there, I would want to see if I can find apps that play back SWF games, read MOBI, HTML, or .TXT files (with or without compression),
    3. And later try to see if I can find information and software that works on WIndows (10 or earlier; I can emulate Windows XP in a virtual machine), to program new apps into the device.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, PorDigit!

You can check what version of PalmOS is installed on the m505 and m500 to see if they can be updated. Both models could be updated to PalmOS 4.1, but you need to find the updater software. The official Palm page died many years ago and the download links no logner work. You cant try a google search to see if you find a working download link for this update. Usually the update is installed via hotsync, so you'll need a computer with PalmDesktop. But you can try copying the update itself (the .PRC file, not a compressed or otherwise packaged file) to the SD card in the Palm/Launcher directory, then the Palm should see it and form there you can launch and install it.

Finding apps for PalmOS gets harder every day. The usual repositories (freewarepalm, 1src) are long dead, but a quick google search yielded this site which lists many apps. I haven't tried any link there, so employ caution when clicking and downloading. You can also check Hook's Palm TX Help Page. This page lists apps mostly for the TX, but some stuff may work on your models. You can also check TealPoint for apps and games (at outrageous prices!). Also, several of us keep personal libraries of apps, so you may ask and someone will surely reply. If the app is freeware it can be sent by PM or email, but if it requires a registration code then you'd need to somehow find and contact the developer and request one. I have a collection of games by Kurt Dekker, which work very well on most PalmOS devices. I had uploaded it to a Dropbox public folder (per this thread ), but Dropbox eliminated the public folders some time ago. Tonight I can try to upload it to another cloud service. Will let you know.

I don't think you can run SWF games on the m series. Flash support was added on PalmOS 5, and the m series had OS 3 and 4.

PalmDesktop can work on Windows 10, check Hook's page linked to above for details. I know nothing about programming for PalmOS, so I wouldn't know where to start or what apps to use for this. There is a PalmOS Emulators (for PalmOS 3 and 4) and PalmOS Simulator (for PalmOS 5 and 6). I have the installers and some ROM images, but I haven't used them in more than a decade. If you want to try them, let me know and I can send them over.

Personally, I think the TX fills the minimalistic and simplistic approach you mention. Check my signature, I used 6 PalmOS devices from 2000 to 2012, and the user experience was very similar, each device offered more storage, more processing power, better screen, etc., but in no way did I feel a "newer" device such as a TX to be like a cellphone. Quite the contrary, to the point that I had to be dragged kicking and screaming (well, almost) into getting a convergent device (PDA and cellphone = smartphone) in 2014.

Good luck with your new toys!

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Raspy, I still have a public folder in Dropbox where I can generate a link to a file to share with others. I've used it recently. Or are you talking about something else?

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  4. raspabalsa

Yes, that's what I mean. I got an email from Dropbox some time ago announcing they were eliminating public folders. But now I can't find that email, and the link to the public folder I uploaded is dead. I haven't logged in or browsed my Dropbox in more than a year, so I don't know if it's even alive. Maybe I'm wrong about the public folders, I'll have to check this.

5. raspabalsa

Ok, checked my Dropbox, and the Public Folder is still there, although it's no longer public in the sense that it seems it can't be accessed and browsed as it used to be. But I can generate and share download links as usual. The new link is different to the original "public" one, that's why it appears dead on the thread about Kurt Dekker's games. For anyone interested, the new link to download Kurt Dekker's games is here. I'll go update the link on the other thread. Thanks for the heads-up, Hook.

6. Sb129

Sb129 Mobile Enthusiast

There is only Palm OS 4.1 to upgrade if it doesn't have it already, also like other have said, Palm really didn't really change much about the OS except make each handheld better (mostly)
    Sony provided a means to play flash files on their Clies but it only works on Palm OS 5 and only work with small Macromedia flash 4(? I think it was 4 might have been 3) objects. Palm OS 4 is completely able to read TXT files (search for CardTXT or txtMemo) and Mobi files (Mobireader) and I think there is an HTML viewer for OS 4
    Lots of programs could install 'conduits' to Palm Desktop but I haven't got a list but really it just made moving data to those applications easier
    (A well known example would be DataViz's Documents to go)

lelisa13p, Hook and raspabalsa like this.
  7. raspabalsa

Regarding the upgrade to PamOS 4.1, maybe Chris Short from PalmDR has the file or installation CD. May be worth a try writing him.