Google's Project Fi

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Sep 21, 2015.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I currently pay $50 (plus tax) each month for Sprint service that includes unlimited calling to mobile phones on any network, 500 anytime minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data. With integrated Google Voice service, I get free calls from the US to Canada, and reduced rates to other countries. Sprint's coverage in areas I frequent is pretty good. Yet, as I contemplate changes in my usage and the fact I need a new phone, I'm considering other options.

Google's Project Fi is interesting. I'd have to get a Nexus 6, which is $350 from Amazon.com. The monthly cost would be $20 plus $10 per GB. Network coverage, when out of WiFi range, is with T-Mobile and Sprint domestically.

Probably the biggest impediment for me is data usage. With my Sprint plan, I don't even think about it. I never use WiFi. My data usage peaked at 87.2 GB in March and was 3.64 GB in July, averaging 22.88 GB over 12 months. :eek: I'm in the process of upgrading my home internet service, so WiFi should improve greatly. That means I could easily eliminate a lot of my mobile data usage. Since the device automatically connects to WiFi hotspots, I wonder if I'd be okay doing things like photo backups, etc., while on the road?

I'm tempted to do this now and keep my current Sprint plan until the end of the year. This would give me a trial run of Project Fi, and if I'm not happy, I could activate the Nexus 6 on Sprint. The biggest cost would be missing out on whatever phone discount Sprint might be offering when I'm eligible to upgrade. The potential benefits, with some compromises, could include a lower monthly cost, better coverage since the phone can automatically switch between WiFi, T-Mobile and Sprint. International usage would be nice, too, I think.

A reviewer at Gizmodo hated his time with Project Fi, but people commenting on the article expressed positive experiences. Other reviews I read aren't so harsh, but do include some standard YMMV caveats. Another drawback could be the way Project Fi integrates and pretty much obliterates Google Voice. I don't think I'd be too bothered by that (I'll have to think about it more), but I am concerned about restoring Google Voice if I were to drop Project Fi.

2. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

It's too bad they can't upgrade the Nexus 5 for this. I don't know if that means the upgrade would require hardware, not just software, or if they are keeping things simple for themselves while they first roll it out. I'd love to try it. Will definitely be interested in your reports if you do.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I signed up for an invitation.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Grrr!!!! I've tried to post here twice today, but for some reason it hasn't gone through.

I'm experimenting with limiting my carrier data usage on my LG G2 and trying to live primarily with WiFi. It's a bit challenging because I really only connect to WiFi at home, but not too bad. The big data hogs are DroidTV and the occasional use of Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. DroidTV can update while I sleep, so that's no big deal, and I primarily use Netflix and DroidTV at home. Anyway, I'm really hoping I can live with 1 or 2 GB of data per month. I suspect I'd have an easier time managing carrier data usage with Project Fi because it connects to open hotspots that I wouldn't ordinarily use with my LG G2.

I've been checking my Project Fi invitation status, too. It changed tonight. It's telling me I have to disable Google Voice integration with Sprint. I'm certainly willing to do that once I get my Project Fi invitation, but it sounds like I won't get an invitation unless I disable integration, first. I'll have to think about that.

While I could get the Nexus 6 unlocked from Amazon.com for $350, I'm really impressed so far with the Nexus 6P. I wonder if I could borrow some money from either my 10 or 12-year old. :confused:

RickAgresta, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Dang. OneDrive just stole 100Mb. Quashed that!

scjjtt likes this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I just got my Project Fi invitation email! This is awesome. Time to work out the numbers, do some serious research and make a decision. Or, act on impulse as usual. :D

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Jig - I wasn't very familiar with Project Fi. The question I have is this - can you receive text images on Project Fi which uses Hangouts as the messenger app?

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Good question. I've been stuck with SMS on Google Voice. All MMS messages get routed to my Gmail. Not the end of the world, but a bit annoying. Anyway, according to this, it should work.

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I haven't used Hangouts. I suppose I should be testing it out before switching to Project FI. Anything I should know before switching to it? I currently use the Google Voice app for everything.

10. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

I don't use Hangouts. Never have. The Google basic messenger app is just fine (and, yes, it does pictures too).