Google Play Store Update Warnings

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by scjjtt, Nov 6, 2015.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I've been thinking about this for awhile and was wondering if a thread might be helpful for those of us who do not allow Google to automatically update our apps. Sometimes the previous apps worked better and once we've updated we're stuck unless we have made a recent backup of our device.

Updating Google Docs a few months ago made my HP TouchPad running CM 9 incompatible to use Docs. I was able to view a Doc from Drive but not edit. I have recently tried to install CM 10 or 11 but wasn't very successful. I think we'll just keep the two TouchPads running CM9 and keep using them for media. Netflix, Pandora and iHeartradio all work great on it, as well as streaming off my local network TV shows that MCBuddy has taken the commercials out and transformed them to mp4 files.

With that said, with my new Tablet here, I updated Chrome - I mean what do I have to lose. Big mistake. The new Chrome is not supporting Adobe Flash and some of the videos on websites that I went to - to learn how to take off CM9 and put a different ROM on was now unavailable to me, but worked on my phone and other devices (even my Chromebook - which is weird because that it automatically notifies me of new updates and I have never turned them down).

So.... how about a place to warn one another of apps that may not behave like they did in the past?

Just a thought - and be careful updating your older systems with Docs and even newer devices with the Chrome browser.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

raspabalsa and jigwashere like this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Interesting idea. Trouble is, everyone has a different device, different version of the OS, and quite likely dissimilar applications. I am quite positive that nobody here has ActiveDir Manager. :(

Sent from my Samsung Note IV

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

If nothing else, it's a good place to provide warnings and remind everyone to make backups in order to restore after a bad update. Discussion of new and/or lost features would be helpful, too.

I don't allow automatic updates on my smartphone simply because I need to preserve battery life during the day and prefer doing updates on my own schedule. The only bad part is I don't often remember to update, so when I do, it takes a while.

raspabalsa and scjjtt like this.
  4. scjjtt

In the situation of Chrome and in the past the situation with Tapatalk, it really didn't matter what version of Android you had, or device or ROM.

I too do not have automatic updates and right now probably have over 60 apps on my phone that it wants to update. Why fix something that isn't broken? I do, for security, keep my Bank app up to date, but the others - I'm not in a hurry and will back up prior to doing it.

But in my case with my new tablet - I saw Chrome needed updating - I have a new tablet - it can handle it. My tablet did handle it ok, but now I can't see some video on some sites using Chrome.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm updating Tapatalk. New permission: location.

scjjtt likes this.
  6. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Have you checked Settings -> Apps -> Chrome? At some point google added the option uninstall updates to roll back an update to the original bundled app. I actually wasn't aware that chrome for android ever supported flash without sideloading the adobe flash app, but then I haven't used chrome for android much. If it worked before you updated, this might help.

7. scjjtt

Mi An and jigwashere like this.
  8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Interesting idea. I'm in :)

I also manually update apps, both to save my mobile data plan and to try to prevent compatibility or permissions problems.

Recent unwanted change: MusicXMatch, formerly my favorite lyrics app, now makes logging to a social account mandatory. It gives you the choice to select between Google+, Facebook, and Twitter, and even shows a "skip" button in the login screen. But as of latest version the skip button is just for show, as pressing it does nothing. This is a case where it's useful to read the comments, because this change had already been commented there. So I made a backup, updated, verified that it indeed forces a login, then restored previous version.

If next version keeps this "feature" I may resign the older version to permanently unbind it from the Play Store and avoid accidentally updating it.

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  9. scjjtt

Since Mi An's suggestion, I have taken my Chrome browser back to the recent updates for security issues (at least Google says it is more secure). If I need to see a video that is not supported with the newer version of Chrome, I'll just take it back to the original loaded version on this tablet.

I checked my Hisense Sero 7 Pro running Android 4.2.1 and I can also "Uninstall updates" with that version of Android as well.

This procedure gives me more confidence installing updates on some main apps. Again, Mi An - thanks for the heads up. That alone has made this thread beneficial for me!

jigwashere, RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

iOS has the same situation. Some devs seem to update apps just for the sake of being perceived as staying current. They may add a feature that breaks some previous ones. I always read the Update notes for each app to see if there's a real reason to update, and then wait a week and read the User reviews. I have quite a few older apps that haven't been updated in a couple of years because newer versions eliminated features that I depend on and tossed in junk that I don't care about.