Google Nexus One Not Going to Be Offered by Verizon Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

In the wake of Verizon's announcement of the HTC Droid Incredible, Google has decided not to offer a version of its Nexus One for this carrier because both models are variations of a smartphone from HTC.

Read the full content of this Article: Google Nexus One Not Going to Be Offered by Verizon

Related Articles:

Google Nexus One: It's Official

Verizon Could Be Getting an Android-Based Smartphone from LG

Android-powered HTC Droid Incredible Now Available for Pre-Order

HTC Droid Incredible First-look Review

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I can't help but wonder if the difficulty was Google's model of selling without carrier ROM/carrier testing. Verizon might not have been happy with that. Be interesting to see what happens with the Sprint version, since this approach is more unusual for CDMA.

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Google's approach of selling the Nexus One directly to the public and then letting the customer take it to the carrier isn't as suited to CDMA carriers as it is to GSM ones. With AT&T or T-Mobile, you can put in a SIM and you're ready to go. With Verizon and Sprint you have to take the device to a store and ask them to activate it.

It will be interesting to see how Sprint handles this device.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

This is very sad if you ask me. So long as fragmentation remains a risk, I wouldn't touch a phone that puts a carrier and a manufacturer between me and my OS updates. Not even a great company like HTC. Certainly not a carrier like Verizon.

5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I sort of wonder if this is as much HTC as Verizon...HTC has a pretty hefty investment in the Incredible, and they may not have wanted to compete with themselves.

6. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

That has the ring of truth to it. I doubt Google would buckle to pressure from a carrier, but they might give a friend a helping hand.

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

This seems to be much ado about nothing. The phones are essentially identical. The few issues brought up seem more to be about Verizon's not accommodating the direct-to-consumer sales model, which is a different issue.

I tend to be both a bit skeptical and paranoid by nature; but I don't see a huge issue with putting the carrier between me and the manufacturer for OS updates. We haven't really seen that to be an issue (unless waiting a few days is a real issue for you). Yes, I admit that for some reason Verizon could say they don't want a particular Android update because it does something they don't want; but I see that as a bit of a longshot. And I do think the SIM issue is a big factor. Why flood your stores with people wanting to set up phones that haven't been bought there.

8. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

How many Android phones run 2.1? The problem for me isn't about delays, though I consider that to be an unnecessary annoyance. It's about fragmentation. And while I don't know the answer to my question above, I'd wager not "all" or even "most models" (here's an old 2009 detailing).

Of all the carriers I wouldn't trust to decide whether I in fact need/want an upgrade (as opposed to getting a new phone from them fresh with a new contract) Verizon is chief. They thought the TP1 had too much RAM to provide a good customer experience, so they yanked some out. Yes, I did say too much. I want my carrier to build towers (what Verizon is good at) and leave me alone.

I do understand that I'm not in the majority here, but the issue is real for those who care about it.

9. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Does it help to know you are not alone. ;)

10. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Maybe. Actually, I think I may have accidentally channeled JRakes a moment ago while yelling at carriers to get off my lawn. Some time alone might be preferable to doing that too often. :eek: :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.