Google Home Mini

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by jigwashere, Dec 9, 2018.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

My better half still uses our Echo Show daily to get the latest news, and she even watched an episode of Doctor Who. She also plays music on the Echo or Show daily. We place phone calls from time to time and video chat with our family that also have a show. I used the Show to set a timer for cooking a few days ago.... that is about it.

Alexa will never be able to glean what commercials I have in the background. No commercials when all you do is stream commercial-free content. I know you are listening though... *dons tinfoil hat*

I guess Alexa can tell I love "Caddy Shack", "War Games", "The Princess Bride", "Police Academy", among other movies. Wonder what Alexa will suggest I buy next? :D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Like Headcronie, I mostly watch ad-free DVR, On-Demand, and streaming, but with the DVR, I'm sometimes not quick enough on the remote for the 'Hey Alexa, look for more episodes of...' which I find very annoying and too manipulative. They shouldn't be allowed.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  3. headcronie

I've heard of commercials or shows doing this. I'm thankful that I've not encountered that yet. I'm sure my time is coming though... I wish there were a way that I could name the devices something other than the pre-defined names. That would solve all these issues. They would be my devices and wake with my key word, not something I can't escape from.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

The next experiment begins! I removed the Mini from the theater room, deleted all connected apps and devices from it and renamed it, placing it in my son's room. He seems to like the charcoal color. The aqua one matched my daughter's room colors. I have a chalk one in my office and another in the kitchen. I've invited my kids to be 'home members.'

5. jigwashere

... And the experiment is starting to fail. So far, I've had to threaten my son multiple times because he broadcasts or casts to devices other than the one in his room, annoying everyone in the house. As far as i can tell, Google offers no controls.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

6. headcronie

That's my experience with casting as well. My boss wanted to bring in more cast capable devices. I had to set him straight in the inability to control who casts where. There is a reason they call it Google 'Home'. It has no management abilities that would lend itself more to a managed environment, and unless you do some pretty crazy network segregation, they're a point of vulnerability when anyone could cast something undesirable to any cast available device on the same network. Fine balance between convenience, and security. In this case convenience was the only thing they put effort into. Security isn't even a thought.

I hope that your son tires of casting to the wrong devices and uses his appropriately in the very near future!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I have neither the Amazon thing, nor the Google thing, but is there no way to discriminate on the receiving device what it will accept to be casted from (RA's head hurts, and he needs a lie-down, trying to keep in order what electronical is doing what, and when...oooooooooh)

scjjtt, raspabalsa and jigwashere like this.
  8. headcronie

Nope. Google assumes that if you have access to the network where the Google device resides, you have permission to send cast requests to it. It's a blunt instrument, and you're wanting fine grained permissions. They don't exist. Same goes for Amazon's devices. Just a different means of telling them to show content.

Keep in mind, these are designed as consumer, home use items. It should go without saying, that these have no place connected to your core network within a business environment. Let alone, should they really be on any network within your business environment. You don't want one on your guest network, as do you really know what they are recording and sending who knows where? If I see one of these in an office when I go in to do business, or to apply for a job... you'd better bet I won't be coming back. They clearly don't understand business security.

9. jigwashere

Google Mini recognizes our voices (not sure how accurately), so when I ask about my day or create an appointment, it impacts my account. My kids interact with their accounts. However, anyone coming into my house can ask Google a question. When I watch how-to or review videos, I have to mute Google Mini so it doesn't respond to the video. I believe anyone coming into my house could tell the Google Mini to control whatever devices are configures (such as Roomba, Nest thermostat, Harmony remotes, etc.). I've removed all devices, but the kids could reconnect them w/o my permission -- Google will let them do anything now that they're 'Home members.'

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

how far away is this response from being reality…?

scjjtt, raspabalsa and headcronie like this.