Google Home Mini

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by jigwashere, Dec 9, 2018.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

One of the first things I did with my Echo is disable voice purchases. Alexa has the ability to understand who is talking to it, but in no way would I trust that as a lock to prevent unauthorized purchases. For now, it greets my better half by her name, and me with mine. It can call people off her contact list when she asks, and keeps mine separate. But that is when we even remember to use this feature. When you have your cell with you at all times, it is not first nature to yell out into the air "Alexa, call x." :D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I don't get the 'discussing further' comment, but whatever.

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I've read some articles recently with tips and tricks and unique uses for Alexa and Assistant. I keep waiting for the article about practical uses for them. :)

Here's an interesting article that might answer some questions raised in this thread: howtogeek.com: Common Smarthome Myths That Just Aren’t True.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/399151/common-smarthome-myths-that-just-aren’t-true/

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

4. jigwashere

hc, you should get this for your parents:

Source: 9to5Toys: Improve your Alexa-enabled smart home with these five unique devices.
    https://9to5toys.com/2019/02/01/unique-alexa-smart-home-devices/

RickAgresta, headcronie and scjjtt like this.
  5. headcronie

I would get that, but I fear I'd be requested to support the fish on the wall when things don't work well. I already had to replace their router, as it was freezing up more and more to the point where it was freezing daily. They could not for the life of them figure out how to fix it on their own.

We first got them the simple Amazon Fire tablets. Something they can see and poke at. Those by far work the best. But still not without issues. I wonder if gifting them with an Echo and FireSticks was the wisest decision. :)

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

From my own experience providing elder tech support, it's easy to drift into the land of diminishing returns. "I'll try just one more thing. This is pretty straightforward..." :vbrolleyes: The hard part was knowing when to throw in the towel. :vbfrown:

7. headcronie

Providing technical support is an interesting feat with my in-laws. My better half is eager to help them out, with good intention. We have different approaches to providing support though. The first time we tried to assist them in using the Firestick, they said they had it down, and then we noticed they hadn't used it in months. (We configured it to connect to my Plex server, no other services were configured or setup.) They admitted they couldn't do it.

This time, I had them push every button, and document it in their own words, and repeat the steps. So far, at least one of them has managed to connect and view content. I think that process was agonizing for my better half. She wanted to help them so badly, but the process has to be repeatable, and that's where it didn't work the first time around (I think they forgot and they didn't document anything.) Will this process continue to work? I guess time will tell.

I recently had to rebuild their computer due to an unfortunate circumstance. I made them a user and built an admin account on there to allow me to do maintenance, and unfortunately, keep them from doing things they shouldn't. Telling your in-laws they can't do certain things on their own computer... sucks. :(

They're reasonably capable, but the struggle is real. There are days I wish I could claim ignorance of all things technology in light of some tech issues. :eek:

8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

yellow smiley angel with wings and halo.jpg

9. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Don't know why I never noticed this thread. My older children bought me a Google Home Mini two Christmases ago and it's installed at the Fairfax, VA hacienda. Since then I bought a second Mini for the Florida hacienda, and most recently I bought my son a Google Home Hub (mostly as a "clock radio"). Even though they're setup as being in different houses, they're all still connected. I have the Mini at each house controlling several plugs and wall switches (including the fish aquarium), and most recently I replaced the light bulbs on the Florida back patio (around the pool) to be color changeable smart LED bulbs. So I can tell the Florida Mini to turn on the lights and change the color to blue or whatever (y'know, to match the LED lights in the pool). I'll also probably switch out the thermostats at the Florida house for Smart ones.

I've found the minis to be incredibly handy around Christmas time for scheduling the indoor/outdoor lights. I used to use an ancient tech (1970's) X10 system for controlling my lights. I can't believe that tech lasted as long as it did, but it was high time to replace it.

I most recently switched from DirecTV to a combination of YouTube TV and Philo, and I was surprised to learn that the Minis do a pretty good job of controlling my Roku devices, starting YouTube TV/Philo/Plex/ESPN+/etc., changing the "channel" or playing something from my "cloud DVR", pausing playback/live TV, etc.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed. I have had a couple of things that can't be done (at least not yet), even though they're Google things and have pretty much everything Google. Oh, well. The seem to be continually improving it.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  10. jigwashere

As a Google One customer, I just accepted an offer for another Home Mini. I'm not really using any of the ones I have, but couldn't pass up free. I think I'll give one to each of the kids and see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk