Google Home Mini

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by jigwashere, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Honestly, if you are using and Android phone, you are already losing the phone home battle. I just try to restrict it as much to Google as I can. After resisting for years (but having no illusions given I was using an Android phone), I was forced a while back to use Google Calendar and Contacts by circumstances beyond my control. So the already have my schedule, the people I know, they know where I've been and where I'm going (Google maps and turn-by-turn navigation). Adding my keyboarding patterns and voice to the lot doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. :vbwink: :vbeek: :vbrolleyes:

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Exactly this. I lost this battle years ago when Palm OS and Win Mob died. It was either this, or the fruit. BlackBerry wasn't even on the radar. Far too restrictive with countless other faults.

Now it is a battle to be aware of where your info ends up. It is a losing battle, but I like to pretend I have at least some choice in the matter.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I recollect Google and Amazon squabbling and the ultimate demise of YouTube on the Echo Show. I had not paid full attention to this as I didn't have one and never thought I would. It is true, no built in YouTube on the Show. However, Amazon put in a decent workaround. It has both the Silk and Firefox browser loaded. YouTube via browser works just fine. "Echo, open Firefox." Done deal.

Just had Dad 'Drop In' on our Show. Yes, the kitchen is the most 'safe' place for this gadget. You have to take extra steps to allow carefully chosen contact(s) to be able to drop in. Sorry, but unless you are an immediate family member of mine, you aren't getting drop in access. :D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

4. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

I just replace everything I can with non-google. And Blackberry is pretty good when the phones don't just snap in half in your hands, they now run standard android with PIM applications by blackberry which also work on any Android device.

I was able to degoogify the following:
    -Keyboard
    -Calendar
    -Contacts
    -File Manager
    -Email
    -SMS
    -Browser
    -Image gallery

I was honestly amazed that much was even possible.

And in terms of Android if I could switch to a flip phone I totally would.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 3 others like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

6. z22 2006 User

Oh man, that is one nice looking phone!

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

8. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

It's funny, its screen is not that much smaller than my Nexus One (2010), which was 3.7" and was considered a very large screen in it's day. I used that happily for 3 years. I had a 3.2" Nokia candy bar before that. However, I could never go back to a touch screen that small, and I certainly would never return to T9. I'd love a flip-phone with a hardware keyboard, but it would have to have a large enough screen to produce a decent sized keyboard.

Ultimately, though, at this point I prefer screens large enough to use my finger to do everything and then augment with BT keyboards.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Must. Not. Reply…. Must. Not. Reply….Must. Not. Reply…. Must. Not. Reply….Must. Not. Reply…. Must. Not. Reply….Must. Not. Reply…. Must. Not. Reply…. :vbrolleyes:

10. z22 2006 User

Out of context quotes fodder?

RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.