Google Home Mini

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by jigwashere, Dec 9, 2018.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I think they SAY it doesn't record your voice, but hasn't Google said they process all the sound to learn how to interpret speech better?

scjjtt likes this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

It's probably a good idea to be concerned about it. It should only record when it hears the wakeup phrase "okay google" or "hey google." From what I gather, anyone can activate it -- including voices on TV. I know they're working on voice recognition and once I activate other members of my family, they should be able to use the Mini to make phone calls, create notes, etc., under their own google accounts.

The Mini has a microphone mute switch on the side, so you can keep it off until you need it. You can also mute the microphone with a verbal command. From what I've read, when the Mini is muted, it won't do anything, which seems to indicate it wouldn't even work as a speaker (e.g., for music) unless the mic is on.

Remember, Google Mini/Home, etc., is part of Google Assistant. If you use Google Assistant, then your voice may already be recorded. On many Android phones, Google Assistant is turned on and listening for "Okay Google," just like the Mini. Go to the Google Home mobile app on your phone and check out the My Activity page to see all the recordings. You can also view a history of all interactions with Google (search, Google docs, maps, youtube, etc.).

I'm activating my second Mini. :)

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

It looks like the mic on the Mini can only be muted via the switch -- not by voice command. That's okay. Also, it still works as a speaker when muted. I have it set up on my office desk. It's great for playing the news and podcasts. Music sounds about as good as my computer speakers. Not great, but good enough.

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

So, the better half and I were gifted an Amazon Echo Show for Christmas this year. 1st generation, had a super slick deal from what I'm told.

Now I've got that uneasy feeling of where the heck do I put this thing. Video camera enabled IoT. My house is taller than it is wide, thus putting it on the same floor as my Echo just isn't a great fit. The top floor is 3 bedrooms and a bathroom. That would be a no thank you for an 'always available' camera.

Our main floor (kitchen, family room, and bathroom) already has the 2nd generation Echo. If I say 'Alexa' it answers. If I have both the Echo and Echo Show, they'll both answer.

The basement (bedroom, 2nd family room, bathroom, and utility room) is rarely utilized outside of the bathroom and laundry room. I've setup a home gym for the better half, and I throw darts down there, but it isn't a place where we'd normally reside.

For now, the Show resides on the kitchen counter, and in the adjoining family room, my Echo. I have to speak quietly, unless I wish to invoke both devices.

I need a different house... :/

Outside of not having a suitable place for this, I'm still trying to figure this thing out. These things cost a significant amount for what they do. They're a dead simple way of video conferencing with other people that have an Echo Show. But at an original price of over $230 a piece, that seems a bit expensive just for that feature alone. The screen begs you to check out the most popular skills. I checked them out. It was an instant flashback to the gimmicky apps that were offered up on my Pebble watch. Worse yet, little information provided about privacy on these apps that would be granted listening & viewing permission. But, please add these skills! Thanks, but pass...

So for now, I've got the Plex skill added, the Pandora skill, and I can video call my sister, and my parents as we all got an Echo Show for Christmas.

Am I missing something here, or am I right to be apprehensive and questioning this things abilities?

Toss me your ideas... I'm all ears. :)

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

no suggestions, just good luck wishes, and please let us know how things work out

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Congratulations on the Echo Show! Sounds like a nice device. :) I've actually considered getting a Google Home Hub for the kitchen.

Amazon sells Echo Show privacy slides/camera covers.

I read one article about multiple Google Home devices w/in hearing proximity of each other. The mics are very sensitive and cannot be adjusted. Unfortunately, I haven't found much information. I also know that Google is working on better voice recognition, but as far as I know, pretty much anyone can activate the Google Home with the wake words. At least the Echo allows you to change the wake word to something better suited to your environment.

Check out this article: https://www.pocket-lint.com/smart-h...s-setting-up-and-using-multiple-alexa-devices

I plan to upload all our music to Google Play Music and see if my wife and mother-in-law can comfortably take advantage of that with the Google Minis. Plus, I have an older Chromecast that I want to connect to our receiver.

Hook, scjjtt, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.
  7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Forgot about changing the wakeup words for Alexa. That will help. Thanks Jig!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Hook, scjjtt, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Go with a Star Trek theme:

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, Hook, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

:thumbsup:

scjjtt likes this.
  10. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

I was actually reading up on all what Gboard collects on you since I had been using a simple keyboard that doesn't do anything but type letters, but I wanted emojis also. Turns out it not only records your usage of the keyboard and sends it home, but any time you use the voice button on it Google gets sent those recordings.

In the end I found a different keyboard that only has an emoji button, but also a menu for ASCII emotes!

headcronie, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.