Google Home Mini

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by jigwashere, Dec 9, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I hope it works well for you. I've got the 2nd gen Echo, and admittedly, Alexa is profoundly stupid. It can perform rudimentary tasks that are well defined, but asking it to research details doing as web search is humorous at best, and irritating when you really need an answer. It does a decent job as a music player, and works okay for making phone calls. At least you'll have Google baked in for web searches. I can say I wish I had that instead of Alexa with a Bing back-end.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  3. jigwashere

My plan is to set it up along with my Logitech Harmony remote so that my wife and mother-in-law can simply give voice commands when they want to watch TV, stream a movie or play some music. I thought a universal remote on its own would be all they needed, but apparently anything that looks like it might be from the late 20th or heaven forbid 21st century is more than they can handle. My plan is to type up a list of commands they can simply read out loud and let Google figure it out. :)

It's a good plan, right? :confused: :eek:

4. headcronie

It will be a good exercise in ____________. I'll let you fill in the blank. Spoken word is far more difficult to accurately discern and act upon, let alone act correctly upon. Differences in intonation, a skipped word, orIforgotthissoletmequicklyrepeat can cause so many unintended results. I live in southern Minnesota. I don't have that Norwegian accent, not the Iron Range accent, not the 'Fargo' accent. Nada, nope, none of that. Yet these things don't respond overly well. My most used phrase for my 'Smart' device is "Alexa, stop!" At least Alexa performs better than Microsoft Connect in my car. Oooh, that piece of smart technology can just.... *soothing thoughts*....*breathe*

*hc is ushered back to his room with padded walls and people with white jackets*

Your experience may very well be better than mine. Evidently I speak a foreign language that no smart device can understand.

If you end up going bonkers, they do have hot cocoa and all the cartoons you want to watch in this padded room. It is quite nice...

5. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

6. headcronie

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

7. jigwashere

Any advice about using the Google Mini as a family device? I assume it's tied to a Gmail account, and I don't necessarily want it on mine. I have considered creating a family Gmail account. The potential benefits include having a central family calendar, contact list, and a single email address to give to schools and other organizations. That last one might be nice because so many organizations can only handle a single email address when we register a child, which means someone ends up having to forward emails so both parents and child are informed.

scjjtt, Mi An, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I haven't used a Mini, so can't offer advice about that. But I think it's a good idea to create the family account. I created one for my family some years ago after discussing app sharing somewhere on BH, and it's been working very well. I set a payment method, I added the accounts on my wife's and kids' devices, and I set Play Store to require password for every purchase. I keep the password to myself, so only I can buy stuff <cue evil genius laughter>. I've purchased several apps with this account, and we can all enjoy them. I've set contacts, gmail, etc. to no sync on their devices to keep them uncluttered. I also subscribed to Play Music with this account so we all share the subscription. The only downside is that I get some weird music recommendations :D

I hadn't thought about giving the family email address to schools. That's a good idea. And yes, I've run into problems because my daughter's school only had her mom's email and she often doesn't check her email. How can she keep living, you ask? No idea.

EdmundDantes, scjjtt, Mi An and 4 others like this.
  9. jigwashere

Apparently, Google Assistant can be trained to recognize voices so that if my wife asks it to create a note or set an alarm, it will do it under her account and not affect anyone else's. In other words, I might be able to set it up so everyone in the house can use it on their own accounts. Having a family account still makes sense for other reasons, but maybe not so much for certain things. I guess I'll find out.

If this works well, I'd be interested in getting more when they're on sale. I like the idea of using them as an intercom system. When nobody's answering the phone when I'm running errands, I could message everyone (or select Minis) using Google Assistant.

I'm starting to like the idea of having a smart home, as much as it freaks me out (privacy, robot takeover, etc.).

10. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I've always liked the idea of a smart home, but the version I like isn't always connected. I used to drool over a couple of protocols that communicated with a local hub and needed no phoning home to the manufacturer, but I can't even remember what they were called and searching just now only turns up the internet by default stuff. Everything connects to a server, light bulbs, doorbells, garage door openers, door locks... I don't mind the brain of it, something tasker like, being able to reach out to services to collect info and bring it back or send communications. But I don't like the brain itself being a remote service.

And not just for the creepy factor or the notoriety of insecurity in IoT (which is mostly digital pollution, devices being drafted to attack 3rd parties, not attack their owners), but just for the ownership factor. It's one thing if a service you love shuts down and you have to switch email providers, but when it's tied to hardware and your perfectly functioning physical stuff unnecessarily becomes a brick, uggh (thinking more of the light bulbs/outlets/doorbells than of a home mini). And it's not just company failure risk or even project closure risk like when google shuts down 9 out of 10 services, but it's even what features are in the service you use. You might get attached to a particular feature, love it, want to have its baby, and bam, it gets cut off and you can't even effectively complain about it. I prefer more control when I can swing it. This is part of the appeal of the non-cloud MS Office package to me. I'll have to settle for their changes eventually, but often I can skip the worst of it (skipping office 2007 for example).

More power to you though. Just be sure to say lots of flattering things about AI at random times. :vbwink:

TL;DR:
    old.jpg

Hook, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.