Google docs vs One Note, how is it different?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Martin288, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Martin288

Martin288 Newbie

I came across one blog recently about One note and Google Docs. My office uses Google docs for documentation. The blog has the pros and cons of both the services. But I couldn't understand half of what's written on the blog.
    I think Google doc offers easy management of the works when it is simple and One Note helps if the data volume is high.
    What do you know about this? Is there anyone using One Note? Please share your thoughts and opinions.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, Martin288

The app you select depends on your usage. Google Docs is a writing or word processor app, equivalent to Microsoft Word, while OneNote is a note-taking app. This means each app is focused on a certain requirement and will have a feature set aimed to fill that requirement. This also means the apps are not mutually exclusive, so you can use each of them according to your needs.

For example, if you want to compose a formal document, it will make more sense to use Google Docs, because it has many text formatting options. But if you plan to take quick, short notes, annotate pictures, and organize all this, then OneNote is a better option. Under OneNote you can create several levels of organization and arrange your notes accordingly. For example, you can create a "work" notebook, and inside create several sections, one for each project, and within each section you can create pages for every task. This hierarchical organization is a very strong feature, because it lets you easily sort and locate your data. It's not so much about the volume of data, but the complexity of its organization.

I use OneNote because its offline availability and integration with windows work better for my usage profile. There are other note-taking apps you can try, such as Google Keep and Evernote. Each has its strengths and weaknesses and often this depends more on the intended use than on the app itself, so what works best for me may not be the same for you.