Goodbye Palm, Hello Blackberry!

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by Matt J, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delpita

Delpita Woooooo-Hoooooo!

I also switched from Treo 755p to BB Tour. There wasn't really anything wrong with my Treo, I had it for 1 1/2 years, and I just wanted a new 'toy'. I like my Tour, but I'm not IN LOVE with my Tour like I was with my Treo. Sure, there are a lot more advantages the Tour has over the Treo, but there are 2 apps that I am really missing, and haven't found anything comparable. 1.) DateBk and 2.)TakePhone. I really do NOT like the calendar on the BB, at all! Blech!

If Verizon gets the Pre, I may or may not switch, but, it's not really a big deal for me.

I do pop in a few times a week here at BH, and do frequent Crackberry a lot more, however, I have not even posted anything at Crackberry yet. I'll be honest, although I have found some very useful info at Crackberry, many of the members there are a little rude. So, basically, I have to read through the 'rude and sarcastic' comments before I can finally get an 'answer'.

2. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Don't leave us, Del! ;)

There are actually quite a number of former Palm/ Current BB users here. And we won't be rude. :)

3. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

Yeah, I've noticed this too. I think there is a younger demographic over there and manners are not well developed. I suspect that the folks over here at Brighthand are older, and probably one of the first users of PDA's and smartphones back in the (good) old Palm days before the PalmOne/PalmSource split.

4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Del, try pocket informant on the blackberry....should be a decent calendar replacement, though i can't say how it looks against datebk.

5. Delpita

Delpita Woooooo-Hoooooo!

Thanks for that suggestion. I had checked out Pocket Informant, but it just didn't quite 'fit the bill' (for me) in comparison to DateBk.

I have an older version of Outlook on my home computer, and am in no hurry to upgrade. I also don't want to 'sync' with Outlook on my work computer. (My private life is MINE, I don't need someone to accidentally see my stuff, KWIM?) My solution for the time being is to use Google Calendar. When I put something on my 'work' calendar, I copy & paste to Google Calendar too, which then gets synced to my BB Tour. I just WISH it was prettier to look at, like DateBk.

6. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

As of now, that's got no workaround. I'm starting to think Palm would do a good side business if they decided to release the Palm OS PIM apps as a suite for other platforms. Cause, past the specific apps any given Palm OS user may have, when he/she switches to a newer platform, it seems that the biggest of all downturns are the PIM apps of the newer platform. I wanna be clear on this one: Palm OS is being abandoned for known and valid reasons, but it's the PIM apps that make you think twice over an upgrade. And, quoting my friend Hook, the BB PIM apps are surprisingly empoverished.

This was discussed in another thread, and the general opinion is that 1. you're right, the trend is that they're younger over there. But, also, 2. manners are manners everywhere, and it seems that in other boards (like BH) the joint effort of admins/mods and members has created more healthy environments.

I would second QF that you give a chance to Pocket Informant. I certainly does not try to replicate DateBk's interface, but it seems it works. If fact, in the near future I will get some WM device to try it, with the intention of considering a platform switch. This, was suggested to me by QF, and JRakes has recently upgraded to said combo.

There have been announcements about a DateBk version for Blackberry, but as of now, there has been no release.

7. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Actually, there has been no announcement of Datebk for Blackberry or any other platform. CESD has plans to develop the java-based Pimlical for other handhelds, but has so far kept any specific plans for which platform(s) to himself, even on the Pimlical Yahoo group. So far it exists for windows only with no specific roadmap for moving to any other platforms (the roadmap may exist, but CESD isn't sharing it).

Datebk remains for Palm or Classic only and there will not be a Datebk app for anything else. CESD is now completely focused on Pimlical.

Just wanted to clarify.

8. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Ah, thanks, Pirate. I read a mention about a forthcoming version, but it was not in Pimlico's site. Thought it came from a legit announcement.

9. Akribos

Akribos Mobile Enthusiast

Unfortunately I have found the Blackberry bold 9000 pretty buggy. Currently Im only using it to chat with friends and family

10. r0k

r0k Dazed

Welcome to Brighthand, Akribos!

Bold 9000 buggy? Perhaps you should wipe and restore your phone. See if there is a new OS available. BB desktop manager is always nagging me for a new OS but I've held off. My 8830 is working well enough and the last time I updated my OS to 4.5, I got big time memory leaks and instability. When I picked up a replacement BB on ebay about a month ago, it had the old but stable OS 4.2.2.196. I'm leaving well enough alone for now, but in your case perhaps it makes sense to let it do an update. Just make sure you don't put everything back. If you have a lot of apps, I suggest thinking about which ones you allow back on your phone.

BTW, you do realize you woke up a pretty old thread, right? I seem to remember the BH admins were talking about automatically closing old threads, but perhaps 4 months isn't quite old enough to get automatically closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.