Goodbye Palm, Hello Blackberry!

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by Matt J, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GTIguy

GTIguy Newbie

Yep, I went to the darkside also. Traded my trusty Centro in for a Curve 8900. Still getting used to the trackball navigation but it's becoming more comfortable. The screen resolution is flat-out amazing. I miss the Palm Desktop, though.

2. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

I use Google Calendar and Google Sync. It works even better and provides automatic wireless syncing.

3. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

Well, it has been over 2 months since I moved from a Treo 680 to a BlackBerry Bold 9000. I am very, very pleased with the performance of the Bold. It took a little while to get used to the new OS (I have been using Palm OS since 1999), but it is a much, much better experience.

Besides the obvious reputation as an excellent messaging platform, BB OS is fantastic at multitasking. Switching between applications is a breeze and there is no hesitation (probably because of the Bold's good processor).

Battery life is amazing. I can get two full days of heavy use out of it. Although I have not tried average or light use, it will probably last 3 to 4 days before needing a recharge. I find this is start contrast to the iPhone or (even worse) the Pre which requires 2 charges per day.

I can now understand why businesses so readily adopted the BB platform. There are so many configuration options for power users and administrators that it makes the iPhone and Pre look like toys. People on the road will appreciate that they will not have to recharge their BB twice a day.

The multimedia on the Bold is amazing. The screen is perfect.

The trackball has grown on me and I certainly see it as a better option to the touchscreen now. I never though I would admit it, but I now cringe at the though of using a finger or stylus to navigate.

Overall, the Bold is amazing. Coming from Palm OS it is easy to appreciate the power and elegance of BB OS.

4. turnbase

turnbase Mobile Enthusiast

You don't mention third party apps -- after years with Palm and Pocket PC back and forth and never being really happy with any device, I'd love to settle out on one device for more than two years. But I need about 3-4 third party apps running on my phone.

5. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Congratulations, MattJ!

<Uh, there goes another Palm user. The Palm fora are starting to smell like mothballs.>

6. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Well, if you want 9000 games and wanna watch videos all the time, Perhaps the BB is not for you. However, if you want it for what it is, and thats for a phone, and for business, its great. I have a few 3rd party apps running on mine. Weather channel, Market Live, google mobile and maps, Garmin for BB, Splash ID (which is a great password website etc holder that I used on my treos), and a couple others. And ya know what? Its not bad for music either. Its nice carrying only one item when I'm out for a nice walk during lunch.

btw, about the videos and the games, thats why I carry an iPod touch in my briefcase:)

7. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

The built-in PIM apps are *good*. Are they *as good* as Palm OS?.... ummm... almost. I am using the latest official BB OS on my Bold: 4.6.0.303 and am eagerly awaiting 5.0, so I expect some improvements. I like the enhancements that I have seen on 5.0 on other devices. I especially like the speed improvements to the native web browser.

As far as third-party apps are concerned, BlackBerry App World has a nice selection of apps that has met my requirements. After moving away from the Treo 680, I have not missed any particular app per se, but I *thought* I would. The only apps you might miss are some games, the productivity apps are all available. Docs to Go is the main one for me.

I looked at the Palm Pre, but I settled on the Bold 9000 for a few good reasons: stability, battery life, app selection (compared to Pre), beautiful screen, one-handed use, excellent business device, excellent multimedia device, SUPPORT from BlackBerry.

Having been a long-time Palm user, I have grown accustomed to living with poor service from Palm and infrequent Palm OS updates. I went through the misery of a Palm Centro that froze on incoming calls (see Centro forum) and Palm releasing updates to its OS maybe once (or never) per model. This left such a bad taste in my mouth that I swore I would never purchase a Palm device again and actively discourage anyone from purchasing one. I still stand by this.

With BlackBerry, RIM is always releasing improvements to the OS. Just when you think the OS is performing perfectly, they release an update that makes it even better.

For example, I was running, BB OS 4.6.0.282. Everything worked perfectly. So, I hear that BB released BB OS 4.6.0.303 and I immediately install it. Whole process took about 30 minutes and everything seems to be the same. OK. Off I go to work. By the end of the day (11:00 p.m), I notice that instead of my battery life being 50-60%, it is 70%. Hmmm... OK... we'll check it out again... same thing, day after day. Apparently .303 optimized battery life (in my experience). Great. It also seems a little snappier on the multitasking (maybe my imagination).

So, I just love my CrackBerry.

8. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

I disagree. The Bold 9000 is a perfect device for watching videos and playing games. The screen is beautiful and the processor can handle anything you throw at it. The only disadvantage it has is screen size.

9. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

Too be perfectly candid, I rarely come to Brighthand anymore after making the switch to BlackBerry. The support forums at CrackBerry.com are a lot more active.

10. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Thats basically what I was talking about. Screen size. And I totally agree with the BB's being able to do pretty much whatever you throw at them. (of course, I have a lowly 8330m, not the great bolds. Hopefully, Sprint will have one of those eventually, and I will probably upgrade).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.