Good Source for Classic Movies: Netflix, Roku, Online?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ed Hardy, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Well, the cord has been cut. Cable service was turned off yesterday. I'll keep you guys updated.

I've been playing around with some of the "hidden" channels on the Roku. So far the only one I've discovered that's worth much is PBS.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  2. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Amazing Jig. I didn't realize that you could get the 'master list.'

Last night, I just randomly picked Gary Cooper on IMDb and there's a full length version of "Meet John Doe." But the master list is excellent.

3. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Again, jig to the rescue! :D

I'm gonna have a BUSY weekend ;)

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

5. hal

Jig!!! Come on, I'm having a busy weekend, and here you are posting jewels of the timeline of cinema :D

I gotta find some time along the next week to download and watch several of those movies. I clicked on the link and geez, there are several jewels of gore and scifi :)

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I noticed a week ago or so that IMDb had 'The Quiller Memorandum' for free. I'd recommend it. It's a spy thriller in the nature of the Michael Caine 'Ipcress File' series of movies.

7. hal

Hmmm, I'm not much of a spy movie fan, but this one is worth the time.

(Clarification: I obviously don't consider the James Bond movies actual spy movies. Cause I'm a fan, but I'm aware of the vast difference with more realistic movies on the subject)

ATTENTION: in that list link posted by jig, there's "Santa Invades the Martians". People, you can't miss it! :D

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I finally scanned that list of movies. The Stranger and The 39 Steps are really great movies. And The Lodger, which is listed as silent, is very good if it's the one I remember; but that one had some limited dialogue in it (as was typical for early movies). The Lodger, played by Lloyd Cregar (I think that's his name) was really good.

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Oops, I guess I was thinking of the 1944 version of The Lodger, and it was Laird Cregar, not Lloyd Cregar. Sorry.

10. hal

Odd thing that The Night of the Living Dead made it into such a list. I'm gonna download it this weekend :)