Good Source for Classic Movies: Netflix, Roku, Online?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ed Hardy, Feb 10, 2012.

1. r0k

r0k Dazed

Thanks, Jig!
    Have some virtual zippy...
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'd never seen this kind of list before so I went looking to see how it was done. It turns out you have to click on "show all" in each genre and then click "show sortable list" and finally page through all 9 pages (classics) or all 15 pages (sci fi) to generate the list.

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Now, let's hope somebody lays a landline across the Rio Grande, or repurposes one of those abandoned telegraph lines dating back to the Mexican Revolution, pretty common on all the Border Country, and uses it to get the rest of the NetFlix catalog over here :D

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I just wish I could get a few more details along with the list of titles. Don't you think it would benefit Netflix to give non-members some sort of access to its catalog? I suppose that's what trial memberships are for.

Sorry, hal! I don't think I'll be attempting to dump the entire catalog to a spreadsheet any time soon. :D

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Jig, I made one change to your file. I removed personally identifiable info from the file. No sense in having your name out there in public view, unless you so desire. Hope you don't mind.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Thanks for your support! :)

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Ed, another thought occurred to me. Check out IMDb. It's amazing, but they sometimes have FULL MOVIES available, and they're usually the older ones. I remember coming across a classic recently on IMDb.

Also, e-mail TCM and tell them you wish they offered on-line movies. Recently, Acorn started their own streaming 'channel,' so maybe TCM could do so too. That's obviously a long-term solution if at all; but it's worth asking.

7. hal

Ah, never mind. Like I could use it anyway :eek: Distribution rights differ a lot across borders, so the enlisting of a given title on NetFlix has nothing to do with the feasability of watching it here. Sometimes the KISS solution is forgetting all the online options and walk to a brick & mortar business.

WHAT? I gotta have some spare time to check that option :p

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

hal, it's really bugging me. I was on a classic actor/actress page and saw a full movie listed with the videos, photos, etc. Most of the time the videos are just trailers; but there are older movies and some good ones.

9. hal

I gotta check it out this weekend :)

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

IMDb Full Length Movies

I clicked one of the movies and was redirected to the Internet Archive (movies and films) (a.k.a. wayback machine).