Good-by to My Nexus 4. Tabby is Hookette again.

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Hook, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

My son did this to whatever cheap smartphone he got form Walmart on his cheap month to month T-Mobile plan:

Crackfone.jpg

I've decided to give him my Nexus 4. He's working hard to pay for college without a) running up excessive loans or b) asking Dad for money if he can avoid it.

I survived just fine with the Nexus 7 and a flip phone earlier this year and it will tide me over until I decide of a newer phone when the finances are better. My wife is going on Verizon sometime and there is a chance I might decide to join her. Or I may just be looking at a Nexus 5 early next year.

Whatever, I'll miss the Nexus 4, but it is an easy thing to do to help out my son. :newpalm:

By the way, I suggested he get a case. :eek: :D

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Your son could be the coolest kid on campus!

Beat-up cellphones with cracked screens are point of pride for some young people

RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  3. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I think you're a generous dad and I hope the Nexus 5 is perfect for you and your budget. :newpalm:

4. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Good luck in the interim and finding a suitable replacement! :cool:

5. Hook

Not in a hurry for the replacement. I loved the Nexus 4, but the Nexus 7 is fine and I've been having a lot of fun with it lately. This meant I could solve a problem without investing actual money, which has been tight even with the shortened furloughs. So everyone wins. :)

scjjtt likes this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I forget the exact requirements, but could you use Google Voice and Groove IP in concert to turn your nexus 7 into a phone for calls and texting?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

Hook and scjjtt like this.
  7. Hook

Not really interested in doing so. I don't make many calls. Flip phone is nice. Mostly use Facebook messenger for texting.

8. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

You never message me. *pout* :p

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Hook and scjjtt like this.
  9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

You don't mind doing something nice for a good kid who appreciates the gesture and in my case, loves his Mama. :D

RickAgresta, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

This afternoon I had an hour to kill between appointments so I went into one of my local Apple stores to actually fiddle with iOS 7 on the display iPhone 5, knowing they'd upgraded them a couple of days ago in preparation for the rollout. Bearing in mind that by tomorrow the displays will be turned over to iPhone 5s models, I needed to see for myself how iOS 7 had changed things. Meh. I won't be upgrading my iPhone 5 because I'll likely be upgrading to an iP5s at Thanksgiving, passing iP5 along to my son. He likes the traditional iOS look (as do I, if I'm honest with myself about it) so why bother.

But the point of this story is that the Genius who came over to show me how to get to the Monthly Calender view (yep, there's no button) pulled out his own iP5 to show me the iRadio app because it was his new fave and - - wait for it - - his screen was a cracked mess. :eek: I asked him if he'd gotten any cuts yet and he said that he'd been lucky so far. Kids. :rolleyes: You'd think he'd get some kind of Apple break (no pun intended but it is a pretty good one :D ) on the screen replacement if he wanted one. Guess he's one of those in the earlier posted article because he didn't seem at all bothered by it; I, OTOH, couldn't see much of anything thru the mass of cracks. :)

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.