Going to Upgrade to the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by Ed Hardy, Sep 15, 2011.

?

Are You Going to Get an iPhone 5?

Poll closed Oct 13, 2011.
  1. Yes, on Launch Day

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Yes, when my contract runs out

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. No, I'm tired of Apple. I'm switching

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, I'm not interested.

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  5. No, I'm waiting for the iPhone 6

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Barring some sort of awesome-sauce Android device actually being released on Verizon (and the Bionic does not count, given the conclusion of every review is "Ok if you're desperate but don't bet the farm on it"), I will be all over an iPhone 5.

My biggest issue is that I honestly don't trust most Android device makers to support an Android phone through 18-24 months. My OG Droid got dropped like a hot potato, and frankly has far too little internal memory for the ridiculous spacebombs Google has made omnipresent in the OS. (Twitter, Facebook, Google Goggles, Maps and GMail are the biggest space hogs on my phone, so my options are either uninistall updates or police the cache every few days. PAIN IN THE BUTT.) Yes, Android has matured immensely, but whose to say that the Bionic doesn't get dropped when something newer and shinier gets released? Or that Moto doesn't shove crud all over it as well? And yes, I can hack it or slice and dice the OS, but this is my only phone and it's simply unacceptable that I should be required to play happy hacker to have a stable phone.

And that's my very long-winded explanation for why I will be first in line for an iPhone 5 if I can...I clearly need a break from Android, because my anger over how poorly the damn Droid has aged is spilling into Android in general for me. Which is too bad. And if I decide I hate the iPhone 5, well, at least it is likely to have excellent resale value.

2. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This

I'm still using a 3GS, and my upgrade eligibility date finally arrived 12 days ago. I am already standing in line for an iPhone 5. (*not really)

3. ptootill

ptootill Mobile Deity

Well, I picked "when contract runs out" but only 'cause that's the closest. In reality I'm sticking with my BB pearl as a phone (it can do UMA and there's no signal at home, so UMA is a real boon). There should be a 'maybe' option!

I do have an iPod Touch that eventually replaced my Palm TX and I *might* get an iPhone to replace it just to get the data connection. I can bluetooth via the BB but it sometimes fails for no apparent reason, so i can rely on it to be available when I need it.

I'm still unsure whether to get a used iPhone 4 (assuming prices drop when the 5 comes out) or to spring the extra for a 5. I suppose it depends on what the the 5 actually is when it's launched and the extra cost.

4. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I've long avoided anything Apple, and will continue to do that. Their DRM policies convinced me of that, and their reluctant dropping of it was far too little, far too late. I don't plan to own an iphone in my lifetime. I'm happy with Android, and I haven't seen any of the space issues QOF mentioned, and it all just works. I've long been in the FOSS camp, and having a closed system like Apple enforces just makes me gag. YMMVW.

5. Chet L.

Chet L. Mobile Deity

No sale here. I am not a user of a smart phone and also not a fan of Apple. I'll probably stick with my no contract feature phone until one of us passes.:p

6. ptootill

ptootill Mobile Deity

I have a lot of sympathy with your position but I'm afraid I have been convinced by the sheer usability (reinforced by the range of apps available). So often, when I come across a useful app, it is Apple only. I'm sure I'll try Android at some point - might well be on a 7" tablet as I think the 10" ones are too big.

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

It is amazing that, even now, with Android arguably more common/popular, that there are still many apps that are Apple only, with stated intentions to NOT provide an Android version. It has me partly convinced too.

8. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

I guess I'm lucky that my wants and needs dovetail with what's available on Android because while I'm aware of apps that are on Apple that would be nice to have (although, at the moment, Splash Notes is the only one that comes to mind), there is nothing that I'm missing on Android that can be found on Apple. I wish Pocket Informant was as far along as the Apple version, but it will get there. Yes, they did develop for Apple first. I'm afraid there is no compelling gap that would send me to Apple.

I'm not being argumentative or critical of others' choices, but letting folks who are undecided know there are other perspectives.

9. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

I wonder if there is some exclusivity clause behind such situations, Varjak. Apple is not reknown for playing fair.

10. CLeonard

CLeonard Brighthand Site Admin Super Moderator

I'm in no hurry to upgrade. I got my iPhone 4 in July. I've only scratched the surface of features that it has available. Maybe in a year or two I'll upgrade if the current phone's performance begins to decline.