Going on 2 years-- The Nexus One

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Hook, Sep 22, 2011.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Hook likes this.
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I couldn't resist an update to this thread. Starting with a quote from another thread:

With my Nexus 4 being on the road to my son, and the time I can replace it being a couple of months off, I began wondering if I could fix the flex cable on this phone. I even ordered the part because you can find it cheap now. So, I started playing around with the dead Nexus One and accidentally (almost literally) discovered how to make the arcane jump start mentioned above work. It turns out, it doesn't work every time. It works by repeating the procedure and it will result in jumping the phone every 4 to 10 times you try it. I know, because I went through it a lot to make sure I could count on it. So I taped my micro-sim to the original card I had cut it out of and worked it into the slot, added a 32 Gb memory card, jump started and did a factory reset of CyanogenMod 7.2 (Android 2.3.7) and reset her up as a simple phone and music player, messaging device and FM radio. It is completely reliable and simple to use.

Hookette is still my Nexus 7, which is the do-everything device except for phone calls. But the Nexus One is a great little phone that will get me by until the end of the year.

It was interesting going back to "Nex" (as I've taken to calling him). First, I had forgotten about how magnificent that AMOLED screen with about 252 pixel density because it is only a 3.7" screen. It is still breathtaking. No, I couldn't ever go back to a screen this small permanently. But I have my 7" Nexus 7 and this is just fine for a phone and music player. I also had to remember using Apps2SD. Wow, does the 250 MB or so left over after the system partitions fill up fast. ;-) And, of course, there are apps that won't work on it, but most of the important ones do.

So, for the time being, I've called up Nex from the "reserves" ;-) It will be fun.

By the way, after getting the replacement part, I discover almost all the YouTube videos for the Nexus One flex cable are about repairing, which involves some delicate soldering, and not replacing. The Nexus One take apart seems a little overly complicated to me. So being the chicken I am (remember all those road trips for the TX to Shawn Lux?), I'm going to wait and do the repair when I have a new phone and I can afford to brick my phone. ;)

Mi An, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Wow - good luck Hook. Too bad you couldn't have scored on a Nexus 4 either 8 or 16 gig when they had discounted them. I still use my old Samsung Epic 4G phone around the home and sometimes at the office, especially if I'm going to be writing on it using Graffiti. I too am amazed that my screen's resolution. It was a 4 inch screen with 480x800 pixels Super AMOLED screen. With my eyes, it is really hard to tell the difference with that screen and my Galaxy S4.

As I said before, my former phone, if it was on T-Mobile, would still be the phone I would be using today - it did everything I needed it to do.

Again, good luck.

Hook likes this.