Going on 2 years-- The Nexus One

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Hook, Sep 22, 2011.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

My HTC Desire must be getting on for 2 years old now -- can't remember exactly when I bought it -- and I'm still very happy with it. It did have some kind of internal problem after about 6 months, but HTC replaced it f.o.c., and no problems since then.

But one thing that does annoy me is that HTC seem to have already ceased supporting it. I was looking for a spare battery the other day, for when I go travelling, so went initially to the HTC UK web site, and Desire didn't feature on any of their drop-down lists. Had to go to Amazon to get what I wanted, so I'm not so confident that what I've got is a brand-new battery.

2. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

My Nexus One, with Android 2.3.6, still served a tour of duty during a mission to Singapore. I don't usually use it, but occasionally, I would bring out during trips and when I'm literally bored of my more advanced phones. During the last trip, I got someone to replace the screen protector.

I am dusting off my old HTC Desire, long retired, for a manually performed Gingerbread update. Why? Why not? Maybe I'm just bored and itching with the upgrade bug.

3. The Turtle

The Turtle Slow, not stupid

Back in the day, you could go three years on a Palm OS device easily.

I'm of the opinion that only cheap crap doesn't last a long time. I paid good money for my Droid Incredible and plan on keeping it until there are no longer any community Android updates. Running CM7.1 on it right now and it's running very smooth and up-to-date. I fully intend to install ICS on it when CM9 drops.

4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

A funny thing has happened on my way to a Nexus 4.

I have reconverged to my Nexus One. At first I did it because I was getting the Nexus 4 soon, but now it turns out it could be one or two months before I get it. Nonetheless, I'm not going to return to my SGP. In fact, I'm giving it to my wife.

There are two main reasons. The first is the obvious one. It is actually a bit of a pain to carry two devices and I was tired of it. Since I always need the phone (and am using more data these days), it was just to hard to carry the SGP5 on me as well.

The second, more compelling, is that my nearly 3 year old Nexus One is such a pleasure to use and, despite a low amount of internal memory, a single core 1Ghz CPU, a broken power switch, a weakened battery and a 3.7 inch screen, still holds it's own as a handheld computer. This is in no small part because of the refinements from CyanogenMod 7, but it is also a fantastic device. The SGP I obtained a year ago pales mostly in comparison. It was useful for me to learn what a great advantage a big screen is and that I really did not want to go less than 4.5" again, but compared to the Nexus One it seems plasticy and not as responsive because Samsung created it as a "player" and treat it as such-- a cheap consumer device with very little support and technological shortcuts. In fact, my experience has left me a little disenchanted with Samsung, although I'm sure a Note II would change my mind. It's non-updateable version of android is much less polished that Cyanogen and there are no sufficiently stable alternate ROMs for it. My wife just wants to play Angry birds on it. It will be perfect. ;)

I will be happy when I can finally retire the Nexus One, but until then, like a great Palm, three years later it is still performing fantastically although it has fallen behind the curve. What a great handheld it is, and what a great experience the Nexus --pure android-- is. It was worth every penny I paid for it (it cost more than the Nexus 4 will). :newpalm:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  5. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

A lot of people still seem to use them Hook, my favorite Nexus model, good old HTC longevity [except the switch connector :D] , my even older Touch HD has been used every day since I stopped using it a couple of years ago by a family member despite looking like someones used it as a hammer and being hard to see what's on the screen because it's so scratched.

I'm sure your wife and angry birds appreciates your change of heart ;)

Just out of interest, have you ever pulled it apart and tried any of the bridging tricks such as

how to repair the power switch of your Nexus one. PART 1 OF 5 - YouTube

6. Hook

No, I haven't. So far, I have been able to get the power switch to work if I absolutely have to, but it is clear it may not one of these times. I once tried finding a new switch assembly (including the ridiculous flex connector), but they make several varieties and I was having problems being sure I could identify the right one. I also tried getting HTC to fix it. They will do it for $50, but their policy, even for out of warranty devices is, they will inspect it and identify all repairs and you have to agree to all. Since they consider an unlocked bootloader to require a mobo replacement, there was nothing happening there :rolleyes:

Mabe once I have my N4, I'll start dickering with the N1 just for fun. ;)

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Vicariously living through you was supposed to include a new smartphone by now. I'm disappointed,but I'll try to manage.

RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  8. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

NOOOOOOooooooo! Hook, you should give your SGP to me!!!! :D jk

9. Hook

Sorry, my wife out-ranks you. ;)

10. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

LOL :p Thats stinks!