Going on 2 years-- The Nexus One

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Hook, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Just a brief reflection on how impressed I am with the Nexus One as a handheld. It has been out 1 years and 8 months now. I have had mine for 1 years 5 months. It still works fine, is in great condition and still holds itself up spec-wise to new phones coming out.

Yes, the digitizer was always a little dodgy, but never so much as to be annoying. Yes, it has too little internal memory, but there are good work-arounds. And finally, the power button wearing out is a bit inconvenient, but, again, there are work-arounds. In all, however, this is a great handheld that still has plenty of life and usefulness in it. Reminds me of my TX which I used for over 3 years and still works fine.

And, like my TX, it sets the bar pretty high for any replacement if and when there is one. :newpalm:

EDIT: Not sure what I was thinking, I got the number wrong in the thread title. Have requested mod intervention. :rolleyes:

hal likes this.
  2. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

Know what you mean Hook! My iP4 is only a year old but I do not see me updating for awhile even when my contract runs out. It will all depend upon the battery. As long as the battery holds out I am perfectly happy with what I have!:newpalm:

hal likes this.
  3. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Good to hear such "success stories," Hook! It doesn't seem nearly that long ago we were reading of your new acquisition, but it certainly speaks well of a device that is still providing a good experience in today's world of ever-changing, "Ooo - Look - New Shiny Thing" throwaway mindset.

Along those lines, it's hard to believe I've had my TP2 as long. And it's still doing quite well - I've had not a single hardware issue and the PDA functions are as useful as ever. Frankly, there isn't a single device on the market today that attracts my attention, so I suppose I'll be sticking with it for a while, just as I did my former Palm m5xx and T3 devices.

With your recent (successful) experiments into local OL syncing, those of us who are actually interested in a PDA have hope - Thanks! :D

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

Congrats, Hook! Like brickman65, I don't have a strong desire to upgrade my iP4 until or unless there is something I really need. Like the rest of the world is leaving their wallets at home but I'm still lugging mine around because my phone is so ancient it doesn't even have NFC or whatever.

I do remember the days we used to rant about Palm doling out little bits of technology so you would upgrade to get another whole half a megabyte of RAM or another entire row of pixels. I think this game is still being played but the upgrades are more substantial. For instance, going from iP3GS to iP4 brought front facing camera and retina display. That's a pretty big deal but the 3GS is still a very useful device. I'm thinking that while I can skip iP4s or iP5 or whatever it is, I'll find iP6 hard to resist because there will be some meaningful upgrade that I could really use... and not just for bragging rights.

I must admit the front facing camera on my iP4 is somewhat useless (for me). I haven't used facetime more than once or twice in the year I've owned the thing. But the Retina display is nice. I know Apple and Google can't go around publishing their product roadmap or the competition eat them alive. And the so-called "experts" almost always get their predictions wrong. So it's hard to say whether iP6 could coax dollars out of my wallet. So far it's the best phone I've ever owned and if I was "stuck with it" for 5 years, it wouldn't bother me one bit.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Thank you, Hook, for the regularly posting about your Nexus One adventure. I've enjoyed (and gained a lot) reading about the Nexus One hardware, your struggles with syncing data the way you want, managing your information, keeping your voice and data communications expenses in check, etc.

I might have attempted to follow in your footsteps, but I decided to live within the constraints of my inexpensive Sprint contract. I will dip my toe in the Android world when my NOOKcolor arrives this week, and with Mi An and headcronie pushing me, I may walk the plank and try booting XDAndroid on my TP2. I expect to revisit many of your posts as I try to learn more within the context of actually using Android.

I will have had my TP2 for 2 years in December. I am eligible for fully subsidized upgrade in October. There's a chance I might get stupid and upgrade. :rolleyes:

6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Title adjusted as requested by OP.

7. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Glad to hear Hookette is still aging gracefully. When she turns "2", we'll be needing to have a BH blowout in OT.

Don't be too hard on yourself, body swaps can get confusing. :newpalm:

:D :D :D

I was experiencing a small amount of android envy before XDAndroid came along. It's not perfect (BT is still iffy, no prox sensor, old kernel sometimes doesn't play well with native software development), but I feel as happy now as I ever was with my Rhodium.

8. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Thank you, gracious lady. :)

9. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Absolutely love XDAndroid on my TP2. The one HUGE and blaring issue for me is calendar search. I'm dumbfounded. Absolutely! I did a minutes worth of searching, and it appears there are 3rd party apps that will do it, but good grief. I can't believe you can't search your calendar...

Same here. Now I can have a taste of Android, and will know what I'm getting into when that time comes to upgrade. For now, I've got the best of both worlds. Certainly nothing impressive by Android standards, but hey...it works!

10. DonBanks

DonBanks Mobile Enthusiast

So are any of the other "Nexus" series phones as good as the Nexus 1?