going from iPhone 3gs to Samsung s4 mini? will the SIM card work?

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by drgerry, Jan 22, 2015.

1. drgerry

drgerry Mobile Enthusiast

I want to loose my iPhone (I really dislike Apple stuff). I have found a Samsung S4 mini. Now, the question is -- is it as simple as swapping the SIM card to get the Samsung phone to work? Or will AT&T try to charge me a new "one time activation" fee?

2. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Simple answer will be no, your SIM card will not fit on S4 Mini's slot because it uses micro SIM card. You need to ask At&t to change your SIM card.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I don't believe you will be charged an activation fee since it is actually the SIM, not the phone, that is activated. They may even give you the new version of your SIM for free (they have for me, but I'm not on contract).

Also, don't make multiples of the same post in different forums. It has the potential to cause people to do redundant work trying to answer questions. Most of the long timers here just pull up lists of new threads/posts and will see the post no mattter where it is. :)

Sent from my SM-T800

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

There should never be an activation fee if you bring your own phone however the sim card size may be different. I suggest you ask At&t for a new sim for the samsung. They are free. Then tell them you want to activate the samsung on your line. Whoever you sell/give your 3GS will have to get a new sim, but again they are free. As for getting data over, I suggest you sync with your gmail account from the iPhone before switching and everything should "just show up" on your Samsung. Sorry to see you leave Apple but you gotta use what works for you.

RickAgresta, Hook and scjjtt like this.