Gmail app developers have been reading your emails

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Hook, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

What it says. Hard to be shocked, since Google's whole purpose in life is to use your data for profit. I just think they ought to pay me royalties. :vbrolleyes:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/2/17527972/gmail-app-developers-full-email-access

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I try my best to keep my list paired down to what I absolutely must have. All of my 3rd party apps are client based. That should tell you that I never use the web interface except when I have no other option. I've done my best to ensure I trust the apps to the best I can... but still... they have the ability to act poorly.

upload_2018-7-3_8-2-44.png

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Aqua Mail is the only one on my list, but that's for an old device. I only use Aqua Mail for a non-Gmail email account and use the Gmail app for Gmail.

4. headcronie

The reason I purchased AquaMail was so I could setup schedules as to when I would allow myself to be bothered by email. With the Gmail app, it's akin to drinking from a fire-hose with no off switch readily available.

upload_2018-7-3_11-22-6.jpeg

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

My primary email is a provider I've had since 1996. I get very little Gmail. I keep threatening to switch to Gmail, but momentum is against me.

6. Hook

My connected apps are Aquamail, Thunderbird and Calengoo. All I consider trustworthy. I have 3 different Gmail accounts (used to have 4) and both Aquamail and T-Bird allow me to see and manage all at the same time.

scjjtt, raspabalsa, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  7. Hook

Mrs Hook still insists on using her hotmail account from about the same time period. She. Does. Not. Like. Change! :vbrolleyes:

8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I have both Gmail and Hotmail (Hotmail is one of my 'junk' accounts). It's getting worse and worse. It seems to take forever to load and the layout is not great. They scan your mail too and I wouldn't be surprised if they had full access as well.

scjjtt likes this.
  9. headcronie

You don't have to deal with slow loading, and poor layouts if you use a client. And if they are scanning your emails, they can't show you advertisements within your client. Bonus!

raspabalsa, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  10. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

I currently use the websites for Gmail (Youtube tethered), AOL and Yahoo while on desktop. Think it'd be wise to switch to Thunderbird?

scjjtt and headcronie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.