Global Warming - Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NetBrakr, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

If you want fact...just wait until 2020...the glacier will soon all melt, raising sea level, powerful storms, etc. But of course, that is we do nothing about it. Thankfully, there are some solution out there but nothing major.

Capt. JC

2. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

I need no further fact, NetB - it's not me that still needs convincing. :)

3. Q-Eye

Q-Eye Once lost, now found...

I don't think the fact of global warming is really at issue. Temperature charts can clearly show a climb in average temps.

I think the issue really is whether or not this indisputable global warming is caused, at least in part, by the actions and inactions of the earth's (temporary?) human tenants and whether or not there is something mere mortals can do to minimize that effect. If we are causing or exacerbating global warming, we can effect a change - at some cost.

My tuppence...

4. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Mobile Deity

Yep, it's a fact that the world is warming up. Yep, it's a fact that it has happened many times (tens, hundreds, thousands?) before. They have also found rainforests under the ice in Greenland and many studies of core samples show that CO2 levels in the past have been many times what they are now.

If you disagree, you loose tenure or funding so therefore you have to go work for private industry.

Leads me to believe that there are so many lies on both sides that none of us will live to know the real truth. But my house is 12 feet above mean high tide. I don't plan to leave until I go out feet first.

5. NetBrakr

6. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Thank you, NetBrakr. Although it's for the benefit of all reading this, not just me. :)

7. NetBrakr

Youre welcome, Nine.

I hope that the readers will read this more carefully.

Capt. JC

8. Curious Cat

Curious Cat Mobile Deity Super Moderator

Here in Georgia we have been fighting a losing war with Kudzu. It was imported purposely for it's covering ability and to help stop erosion. Similar to rabbits in Australia, they miscalculated and it started taking over from native species. If you've ever seen a nice grove of trees taken over by Kudzu you would understand the impact it can have. It covers everything with a fast growing carpet of vines to the very tops of tall trees until no sunlight gets to the plants underneath and everything dies but the Kudzu.

Anyway, my point is that it thrives in warm weather so it could be just a matter of time until it takes over the whole world, probably not but it certainly may expand much further north than it does now. Similar disruptions could happen with many plant and animal species.

9. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

Back in the 1970's the same bunch of experts were clamoring about Global Cooling, a New Ice Age was going to kill billions unless we spend tons of money to research the problem. Now it's the Global Warming scare fund the pundits coffers.

Remember Global Cooling?

"The Earth warms up and cools down all by itself, but as long as the people are so easy to scare, lets make our living out of scarring them half to death every 30 years or so." ~ famous group of climatologists who wish to remain anonymous.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. Curious Cat

Curious Cat Mobile Deity Super Moderator

Here's some more Global Warming news with a decidedly alarmist bent:

Global warming impact like "nuclear war"

Snippet:

"The most recent international moves towards combating global warming represent a recognition ... that if the emission of greenhouse gases ... is allowed to continue unchecked, the effects will be catastrophic -- on the level of nuclear war," the IISS report said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.