Global Warming - Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NetBrakr, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Hey all,

I just want to have everyone's thoughts about this.

As for me, I know its truly fact. Its should say GLOBAL WARNING, not global warming.

TIA.

JC

2. New Cell

New Cell Unleashed Enigma

This subject has been eroding our lives for sometime. It's more than obvious that the heat is on. The real question is how to deal with it!
    Anyone that can read and write today understand. In addition, their children's/ children's/ times 10K will deal with this conflict...
    Weather changes happen for reasons and this has several. I won't dive into this already known subject...
    However, I will make a New Cell statement in regards......
    Don't panic!
    We have too much on our plate already, to add anything else to cause worry... :newpalm:

3. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Yeah, I totally agreed with you. There are certainly some fixes out there that can reverse global warming, but it just the people's will if they want to saved the earth.

http://www.climatecrisis.net/ for more info.

Btw I watched that movie.

JC

4. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

In reality, we, (people) have been on this planet for very short time. Studies reveal the earth is ever changing. Not enough information to reveal if any cycles are repeating or if other influences are actual contributing factors.

Recently read, that through the late 1900s the earth was just emerging from a ice age pattern that had just receded.

This would include the early period in which records have been kept. Are we just emerging into normal climate patterns?, what is normal?, should something always be to blame for cause and effect?

Emergence from a ice age period and development of the combustion engine just a coincidence?

The real question, can you survive, if you must provide your own food, your own warmth, your own water?

Have we developed enough to yet reliy on our neighbors today as our ancestors did, I am not certain, I bet many do not even know their neighbors presently.

As a society globally we depend on others, to much, those others have no common name, they are stores, brick and motar locations that are fed by truck and rail car one after another. But when the deliveries stop, how long can we survive.

A simple example for us in the U.S, was / is hurricane Katrina.

Heard one reporter include this comment, "the difference between a civilized society and a primative society, three days without food and water and a shower!"

This is what I thought about when I read your post Netbrakr!, wow feel better....:rolleyes:

5. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Having had a moderate earthquake this evening about 8pm, there's other things I could worry about or not. Checked with neighbors and all is well. Checked USGS and there have been 13 quakes in the last two days in my area.

Recall that there was a commercial in the early 70s with the tag line, "Don't mess with Mother Nature."

6. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Mobile Deity

This is probaly one of those can of worms that we ought to leave alone. But of course, we won't.

There are so many conflicting "scientific" theories and "facts" concerning "Global Warming" that nobody really is sure what is happening. The tree huggers and their super hero Al Bore get lots of press but most of what they are spewing is the hot air and polution that is causing the problem. Most is based on bad science or on "facts" based on their own political agenda. There is way to much of the scientific community that disagrees. And even the "Chicken little" brigade doesn't agree within their own community.

Is the climate on the "third rock" changing? Emphatically yes!!!! Do we know why, what is causing it, what to do about it, what the long term consequences will be? Emphatically NO.

The climate has been changing on this planet for over a BILLION years. Are we, as the human race, affecting it? Almost certainly. But what is the affect? Uncertain with todays knowledge and data. Is there a soultion for human influence on the planetary climate? Definitely and it's very simple. Reduce the human population by 75%. You choose who stays and who goes.

And the Kyoto Accords? A whole bunch of truly junk science. Nobody who understands "scientific method" believes one bit of that crap. And, of course, the accords require the developed world to reduce their standards to those of third world nations and the largest polluters on the planet allowed to increase the amount of pollution they empty into our global atmosphere.

When we reach a point where there is some true, unemotional, unpolitical scientific research, maybe we can find out if this is a true anomally or part of the patterns that have been continuing on this planet for a billion years. Until then, I think I'll go sit out in the sun and soak up some rays.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Though accounting for only 5 percent of the world's population, Americans consume 26 percent of the world's energy. (American Almanac) Source

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

In about 1818 we (the Earth) were in a mini ice age. Summer never came. Mary Shelly and three of her contemporaries would summer together at various resorts. This summer the weather was so bad they stayed indoors all the time. Out of boredom they proposed a writing contest for fun. Shelly wrote Frankenstein.

We don't know enough about all of what effects earths weather to make such outrageous predictions, heck my weatherman can't even tell what tomorrows weather will be like.

( 8(|)

9. Gerard

Gerard Mobile Deity

But surely we can say with confidence that breathing carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, and other compounds proven less than friendly to lungs, is not such a good idea! Do we really need proof that the climate overall is warming in direct proportion to our polluting ways before we give our collective heads a shake and start changing things for the better? Who among you wants to suck on an exhaust pipe? That's what we're doing to our children; feeding them poison. Same for all the critters around us. The fact that oil profiteers continue to dispute global warming is just so much hot air. Significant reduction in individual and corporate pollution of our air and water and soil is needed, now. We cannot afford to wait for proof, for the best proof is a lot of dead bodies.

10. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

I used to like the idea of Hydrogen power, >3/4 of the Earth covered in water, just split the molecule use the H for power, release the O. When you 'burn' the H you get water again.

But what is the effect on the earth releasing all that steam? Global warming under all of the clouds of steam.

( 8(|)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.