Getting Hard To Save Money

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NetBrakr, Sep 15, 2011.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Fingers crossed, good karma heading south:newpalm:

2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

It came straight up I-85. Considerable damage in Auburn and Opelika. The siren went off at lunch but it always does Wednesdays. I'm maybe 6 or 7 miles off the interstate and had hard rain for maybe 1/2 hour but not so much as a fallen branch.

The nearest siren is about a half mile from my house. Ear-bursting if you're close and it's pointing directly at you.

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Hal, I'm not much of a horror fan. It doesn't scare me, I just don't love it. Still, I've heard great things about WD. The real problem is I already watch WAY too much TV as it is. BBC America, AMC, FX, and the shows from HBO/Showtime/Starz already take up a lot of time (Boardwalk Empire, Hung, How to Make it in America, Homeland, etc.) Something's gotta give.

4. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Lauren + family, just as Rick I send good Karma in the general direction towards GA. And much much powerful Karma in the general direction towards AL. LS, hope you remain unaffected.

Regarding sirens, I remember that as a kid we made a trip to the Gulf coast, and I listened to a fog horn about 200m away from where I was. It sounded worse than the horn on a train pointing at oneself at 10m . I mean it, it felt like if my feet were about to leave my shoes :D I was told that such a horn had to warn ships something like 3 or 5 km away from the shoreline (maybe farther). Yeah, well it sounded like trying to indicate incoming UFOs the actual proximity of solid ground.

Yeah, I get you. I'm in the other side of the TV-advocacy spectrum. I've even wondered WTF do I pay for DHTV if I barely put the TV set on. Then again, there are shows that I enjoy that are only syndicated on DHTV channels, or they will be aired in national TV after a long time. I enjoy Two and A Half Men (sorry to say, Ashton, I respect you but you got nothing to do in there), The Big Bang Theory (my current favorite), and TWD - that's my whole week fixed TV diet. Plus, the Sarah Connor Chronicles and Dollhouse reruns, but they syndicate so late that it's actually too early, and I am not always "available" :D

Just as you say, something gotta give. Especially if it's of a subject you actually don't enjoy. Now, to be fair, TWD barely accomplishes its gore thematics. For a show involving undead, a global holocaust, and the crackdown of modern society, the core subject which is the undead actually plays a "landscape role". They don't show up for more than 15% of the show time. But of course this is a convention of the undead theme. It's more about the human nature than of corpses wandering.