Getting Hard To Save Money

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NetBrakr, Sep 15, 2011.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

ZOMG! :eek: There's no way I watch that show. :eek: I live in the Emory/CDC area so I was grateful when the zombies were filmed at a different location which, for their purposes, served as the CDC. Too creepy for me! Filming has brought money into community coffers, however, so there is that. :rolleyes:

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Oh, sweet mod, don't knock it off! It's the best show EVER! Sole exception, of course, of The Chronicles of Sarah Connor :p Yes, of course it's creepy, but provided that you are reluctant to watch it, lemme point out that the creepiest of it all, is the human nature as depicted in the face of disaster; sadly, very realistic IME, as I attested IRL disaster zones. The undead? Oh, well, they just bite and smell like rotting (go figure) :D

Yeah, money brought into town with filmmaking and TV locations, is always good money. The producers are usually cheap as Scrooge, but when they are due to pay, they do use hard currency. So, the CDC portrayed is not the real one? *Downturn* Anyway, regarding one of the weirdest traditions over here, I can send you pictures of the annually held Zombie Walk :eek: :D

<No undead at all, sadly. Just costumes and a lot of makeup. And the cops don't think it's elegant that the crowd bears anti-zombie ordnance>

3. lelisa13p

Oh, sweet hal :p , spare me the pix. I cannot bear the images taking up residence in my head. I had nitemares from The Omega Man ghoulies at that time and that was crappy make-up 40 :eek: years ago. I prefer the dead ones to remain immobile! I despise being scared. :(

(I am shocked that film is that old! < faints > )

As an aside, I wonder how much farther off-topic we can stray? ;)

4. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

We have indeed strayed. Good thing it's the OT area. :)
    I hope you don't have teenage children if you're zombie-phobic. Zombies are all the rage in movies and video games, it seems.

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

well, there's this missive:
    [​IMG]

6. hal

"Comfort the dying"...

That one is from the days of the Civil Defense craze of the 1950's, right? OK, so it really got to the point of "comforting the dying" :rolleyes:

<Amid a zombie holocaust, how do I "comfort the dying"? Saying: "hang on, it's just a peak of pain, then you feel nothing, AND THEN YOU'RE BACK!!! > :D

7. lelisa13p

Well, poop. :mad: I tried 2 browsers (Opera & FF) and neither will load that attached picture past the top 2 line items on the chart.

This is a common issue in forum for me and I've posted about it before. :(

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Haven't started watching WD, but I think I'll catch up this summer on DVD.

Hal, I'd love to take credit for 'reverse 911' but that's what it's called. I don't know who invented the neologism; but it wasn't me. (too bad)

I know people love the idea of abandoning landlines; but I don't think we're nearly at that point yet. When data is super-cheap and virtually limitless, and the cellular infrastructure is much more robust, that would be something else entirely.

As for listed numbers, I don't think you have to be listed to get a reverse-911 call. You may not be in the phonebook; but rest assured, the authorities know your number and can call you if they want to. It's not like they look up the numbers in the book and call you. The phone company does it automatically via computer and a geographic overlay.

9. hal

I can't imagine what keeps you from watching it :D

I had never read or listened to it before. And to be fair, it makes a lot of sense, cause OK there has been a decades-long effort to build resources so you get in touch with the authorities when you need them... and if it happens that they need to call back???

Man, we didn't totally abandon printed news, magazines, telegrams, snail mail, paper pads, public TV, photocopies, ... Ergo, just like you I don't think that we will totally abandon landlines anytime soon. One thing that I learned at school is that any new technology is envisioned to wipe off another or several pre-existent ones, but it rarely happens, right away at least. Can happen in the long term, but not immediately. Any surpassed tech can survive if it gets confined in a niche or environment where it is still found convenient or affordable.

Landlines are still offered at cost rates that in general terms can outcost a mobile line. Landlines are a dedicated tech. You don't get but calls, SMS and voice mail perhaps, but it's still just about calls. And they work on sturdier assemblies than mobile lines.

Landlines are preferred by people who choose to communicate on a basis of location, whereas mobile lines are preferred by people who choose to communicate on a basis of individuality. While this is a crude generalization, it helps to understand why, even though mobile lines' costs are dropping, landlines will still be offered. The 'basis of location' option is deeply embedded in our minds, and the second and newer option is still in a lengthy phase of adoption. If it were for me, if money were not a factor of conflict, I'd only have a mobile line. In my case, the convenience is enormous, but what keeps me using landlines is the economy factor.

10. lelisa13p

I just hung up my house phone after receiving an automated call from the County Warning System advising me of the Tornado Watch & some Warnings in my area until 7 PM. It's a wee bit problematic that the sirens began sounding at least 2 hours ago. :rolleyes: I get those from Emory University and from the CDC and the cacophony of both is quite something.

There is no present danger & hopefully that will remain true as the afternoon wears on.