Getting Hard To Save Money

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NetBrakr, Sep 15, 2011.

1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Ok, most of us are trying to save some dough with cell phone bill, internet bill, phone bill, etc.

But the providers' prices are increasingly getting expensive.

For an example, right now my family is paying $30 (which is increasing) for 1.5MBPS At&t DSL, but we only get about 1/3 of the speed cause of the distance. I went to At&t website to check the price of their lowest DSL speed, 768KBPS. It was $14.95. Great. BUT after 12 months, it's $25. Ouch. :(

I am not sure we can saved BIG money here.

2. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

Know what you mean NB. We are looking at stuff like Phone, Cable, Internet also to see where we can cut. Our Cable/Internet is out of control. If it weren't for ESPN I would dump cable TV all together. We need to drop to basic cable at a minimum! We have to have high-speed Internet though. Both my wife and I work out of the House so Internet is important. I just wish she would dump the land-line. That would be $60-$70 a month!!

Have you looked at AT&T U-Verse? Depending upon what you want, they had some decent deals going.

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'd love to dump our landline, but my wife gets 2 votes to my 1.

4. Q-Eye

Q-Eye Once lost, now found...

<Q-Eye is chagrinned to find that this thread isn't about the adult entertainment industry after all.>

I have heard but not tested the idea that calling the cable provider and asking if there any promotions that can save you some money sometimes works, especially if you let them know (rightly or wrongly) that you are considering other alternatives to their services. Three months of reduced rates for internet or telephone or other promotion available to "new subscribers" might be offered as an incentive. Can't hurt to ask.

5. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

You mean you get a vote?! You lucky Dawg!:p :D

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Technically, these are my only choices, but at least I get to choose among them!
    • Yes, Dear. You're right, Dear.
    • I'm sorry, it won't happen again.
    • I was wrong.

7. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

In my case, DSL and home phone are on the list of things she pays. I do others like electricity, propane, water, etc.

We've never had cable.

And now, to repeat an oft-asked question:
    "If a man says something in the woods and there's no woman to hear it, is he still wrong?"

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

8. Chet L.

Chet L. Mobile Deity

Calling to ask for reduced rates does work! Companies will reduce their rates for a period of time to keep your business. All you gotta do is ask. ATT has been charging me 1/2 price for DSL for over 4 years. I call them and mention Comcast and they reduce it for 1 year. When the year is over, I call them to inquire as to why my bill has increased and they reduce it for another year.
    Directv is the same way. As the bill starts to creep up, I call them and they waive certain charges for a period of time. Running a household is a lot like running the government, expenses tend to creep upward if left unchecked. The difference is that I have no one to tax. Sure is great that the cost of living is not increasing.;)

9. Chet L.

Chet L. Mobile Deity

Sorry, I don't know if that is true, I'll ask my wife when she gets home.:eek:

10. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Sure. Just don't say I told you to do it!