General Windows 10 thread

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mitlov, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Which is why I mainly use Linux now. :vbwink: :vbgrin:

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm struggling because I've been enslaved by Microsoft, Google and Amazon. Serving multiple masters has its challenges. I really wish they'd merge. They can suck up Xfinity, too.

3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I don't know what LTSB is? Is that only for Enterprise? It does sound good; but overall I still think Microsoft is pretty poor in many areas. I still use Hotmail/Outlook.com but it's so much worse than Gmail (except for better folder management). It's slow, it hangs up, I hate the new look, etc. I use Win10; but it's pretty awful.

scjjtt likes this.
  4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Here is a pretty decent layman's terms article on Win 10 LTSB.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/273824/windows-10-without-the-cruft-windows-10-ltsb-explained/

It is only for enterprise. That's the unfortunate part. I learned something new in reading this article that I misunderstood just earlier today. LTSB does not update major versions at all. It stays on the LTSB version you installed, and has a 10 year support cycle from the date of release. As the most recent LTSB is version 1607 from 2016, there are now 8 years of support left on this version. I thought it installed major version updates every 2 to 3 years when they put out a new version. Not that it is a big deal for me. I can work with that either way. I just wish something like this, with major version updates, was available as a regular consumer product. I'd be all over it.

For now, I've used the LTSB to completely rebuild our Point Of Sale terminals that came with Windows XP POSReady 2009, which will exit support before the 2018/2019 school year is out. I do not want to be caught flat-footed with a system running an end of life operating system in the middle of a school year - that has access to a mission critical student information system.

5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I use W10, but remove, and block as much as I can. I don't use apps, and I use my own recipe of software to make the computer work for me. As for email, I'm one to use a client, even as the web interfaces for Outlook, Gmail and others claim to be getting better. I believe I can still do more with a client, than I can on a website. I don't use Outlook as a client, so I'm not tied to Microsoft in that aspect.

6. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I'm not too annoyed at the advertising in Windows 10. After all, it was free. That being said, now that we have to pay to get Windows 10, it better not have advertising in it.

My biggest annoyance with Windows 10 is internet browsing. I have to use both Chrome and Edge. I use Chrome for pretty much everything except for one of the Battlefield game series Battlelog "launcher". You have to use a browser to launch the multiplayer version of the game (and that includes all like seven Battlefield games), and somewhere along the line, Google did something to the Chrome browser that stops the Battlelog site from working properly. Every time I launch Edge for this purpose and it defaults to the Google Search website, I get a little message telling me that I should be using Chrome because it's faster and provides more functionality, blah blah. Every time I launch Chrome for everything else, I get the usual Edge advertisements from just about every direction in windows -- taskbar, toolbar, system messages, etc.

I really don't understand what the point is in the browser wars anymore.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.