General Windows 10 thread

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mitlov, Jan 22, 2015.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I may have gotten the update yesterday unintentionally. I opened the computer and it said it was updating. It took forever (I don't know for sure because I had to leave to do work on another computer). And it changed some stuff and reset the defaults (like power settings) from what I had customized. Very annoying that it can just hijack the computer in the middle of the day.

Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

After seeing some positive reports about the Anniversary update on my particular model (which has been troubled on Windows 10 from the start), I gave it a shot on my thinkpad after running a full backup with driveimage xml. I have 10 pro, so I can turn off cortana (again. she apparently doesn't take no for an answer) without tinkering with the registry. "gpedit.msc, to open the policy Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search > Allow Cortana and set it to disabled." Local search is handy where it is, and who knows, maybe someday I'll warm to cortana, but coercion never made me appreciate anything more. Ask Google+.

A couple of things are working for me now that weren't before. My fingerprint scanner works for sign ins again, which has been on the fritz for some time. The longer I used the thinkpad, the more boots it would come up and just not even be aware I was trying swipe in. Hopefully it's back for good now Bluetooth now actually remembers my headset as the default audio device so I don't have to manually select it every time I connect. I still haven't tried to reenable hibernate (I turned it off after it my thinkpad began to intermittently fail to reawake from hibernate, forcing a long power button press reset that makes me uncomfortable), but I'm getting close to testing that too. This last one appears to be an intel driver issue at least partially (some people on other computers have had luck rolling back to a really old windows 8 driver, by my model doesn't have the version that seems to work), but hibernate worked fine for oh, maybe 6 months after installing windows 10 before going on the fritz, so I'm hoping the semi-fresh install at least resets the problem, and if it does, that's something at least.

Still not running it on my other pc, but if my thinkpad issues end up all resolved, that'll be swell. I've also been eager to try out the sticky notes with Windows Ink. I used to use outlook notes a lot and I think this might be handy.

wozofoz, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I'm on Windows 10 home and I never have had a problem with cortana. I simply removed her from the taskbar and she never bothers me. Maybe because it's a desktop without a microphone (except when I am producing radio shows :vbwink: )?

Most new things in Windows 10 AE don't affect the things I do, but I have to check a lot of things because it did change settings. For instance, it didn't add my sound card as a "recording device" and I had to go back in and enable that. Will be interesting to see what else got changed.

wozofoz, jigwashere and Mi An like this.
  4. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I use the search all the time and rather like its location in 10. For now, I just prefer it to be local search.

jigwashere likes this.
  5. EdmundDantes

I just got the weirdest message: I couldn't capture it; but it said something like "Do you want to buy a jacket or learn how to say [something] in Swedish or Norwegian.' Something like that. It came in one of those little rectangles that slide in from the right of the screen. If that's part of the update, I'm PO'ed. WTF is that about?

wozofoz and RickAgresta like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Thanks for the link, Jig. Thankfully, I stick to full desktop software, so I've had very little interaction with this so far. Now I can switch these, and hopefully have less until the next update... which I'm sure will turn all this stuff back on... Blah.

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  8. EdmundDantes

Wow Jig, thanks. That's absurd that I buy a computer and now it advertises to me. Next thing, cars will start displaying ads on the windshield.

jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

scjjtt likes this.
  10. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

If only regular users had the option of using Windows 10 Long Term Servicing Branch (LTSB). It is the W7 version of W10. No store, no edge, no Cortana. And it's fast. Not to be confused with trying to disable the store, Cortana, and Edge. You can only partially do that, and you still have tons of overhead. LTSB doesn't come with that crap. LTSB is the way the OS should be. I should be the one to decide what to install. Not a 3rd party to MY system. I've got access to this version for work. Sadly, regular consumers will never get their hands on this version. Frustrating... we've become the product being sold. We're no longer buying a product.

Chronos, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 3 others like this.