General Windows 10 thread

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mitlov, Jan 22, 2015.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Congratulations on the new laptop. What did you get and how do you like it?

scjjtt, Hook, wozofoz and 2 others like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Woz, thanks so much for this. Great program, works beautifully. Made a boot-up USB stick and it worked perfectly. I'll make an image backup to an external hard drive as well and then try the update again probably Sunday night (I've got a radio show I want to finish producing first :vbwink:) just to see if I can sort the problem.

Thanks again. And TenForums is a great resource. :thumbsup:

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I had a license to Macrium Reflect way back - through giveawayoftheday. By 2010, I no longer had a license, probably because I switched computers. I might have to get a copy.

EDIT: Funny coincidence. Over the past few weeks, I've been going through LastPass and cleaning up old accounts and passwords. Just this morning, I logged into Acronis.com for the first time in about 6 years. While searching on Macrium Reflect just now, I came across the thread where I posted about Acronis and Macrium Reflect. :)

4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I got a Toshiba I5 Windows 10 laptop, 15.6" screen, 1TB hard drive. Pretty basic and cheap. The screen went out on my otherwise good Dell. If you press the edge, the screen would display; but somehow some kind of loose connection developed in the screen proper, not the video wire. That's the second time something like that happened to me. I was going to replace the screen but it wasn't worth it.

lelisa13p, Hook, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Belatedly, thanks Woz for that tip.

jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  6. Hook

Well, I finally got ehr Anniversary Update installation sorted and figured out (most of) what the problem. That it, I figured out what the problem was, but not exactly why it was a problem.

I finally stumbled on a post somewhere in the MS support forums (and I had been searching periodically every few days to try to uncover clues) that suggested there was a problem with the Logitech wireless input devices. These are keyboards and mice that connect wirelessly to a USB dongle that contains a wireless radio ( not wifi or BT). The dongle acts as a kind of wireless router for multiple input devices and you use "unifying software" from Logitech to pair them. So after trying 3 times before-- having the install just stop with, after the first time, rotating balls on the screen going round forever (no, this isn't a description of the Brighthand Break Room).

So I shut the computer down and attached a wired mouse and keyboard. I turned the computer back on and it instantly resumed the installation at the point it left off and the installation completed. I reconnected the wireless setup and they worked fin, but when I rebooted as a test, Windows wouldn't load. Reattached the wired stuff, loaded fine. I looked on Logitech's support site for a new unifying driver and it was dated from 2010, although they claimed it worked with Windows 10. I downloaded and reinstalled in case the web page description wasn't up to date but the software was, but when I reactivated the wireless input devices and restarted... same thing. Windows wouldn't load. So I shrugged (this is a stationary desktop after all) and permanently replaced the wireless input devices with a wired keyboard and mouse and all is good.

Now, I said I knew what but didn't know why. My wife has a computer with the logitech wireless mose and keyboard and her computer updated fine, on it's own, with no assistance when we weren't looking. It's a different computer, but it doesn't make much sense. However, I have things working, so I'm not going to worry about it.

After all that, so far I'm really not noticing any difference in the things I do with the update. I just hate to let computers defeat me. :vbwink: :vbrolleyes:

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Congrats! any reasonable chance the BIOS/UEFI has an update that would help?

wozofoz likes this.
  8. Hook

Anything's possible. I may give it a try.

9. wozofoz

wozofoz Time Traveller

There have been a few problems with drivers after updating to Windows 10 and the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
    Some people have found that when they disable Fast Startup the drivers are loaded correctly. Might be worth a try ?
    I disabled Fast Startup.
    Because I often run on battery I use Screen Off for small time periods (coffee break) Sleep for longer periods (lunch) and Hibernate for very long periods (shopping) and when transporting. I turn off or restart whenever I think the T100 needs it :vbwink:

How to Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

All the best, woz of oz

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Hook, RickAgresta, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  10. Hook

Thanks, Woz, but it didn't make a difference. I think it's not so much drivers in this case as it can't make the wireless pairing during boot up as it can after boot up, do it thinks there are no input devices. I'm giving up. I'm fine with wired on a desktop. My wife's computer is newer and higher end and may just have better ways of compesating. Het logitech wireless devices are probably newer too.

Also, HP considers this computer as no longer supported and not supported for Windows 10. As such, it simply says on the support website that my drivers and downloads are "up to date" and won't even give me a list of all the historical update files for it so I could check. So no bios files despite the fact that i"ve never updated bios (I usually only do that if there is a major hardware change). After years of using Dell and Lenovo, I've never seen that-- I was always able to pull up lists of historical driver and BIOS updates. HP just lost any future sales I might have entertained. Or is this the way everything is going now? (Nope, just went over to Lenovo and found drivers for my ancient T42p Thinkpad-- including drivers for XP).

wozofoz, jigwashere, Mi An and 2 others like this.