General Windows 10 thread

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mitlov, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

RickAgresta likes this.
  2. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

I just wish I had some viable convertible options to begin with.

There isn't much that really makes me want to replace my current Fujitsu T902, barring Wacom's obscenely priced Cintiq Companion 2, and that's strictly for the "external monitor" feature I wished all tablet PCs had for over a decade due to their weak hardware.

It doesn't help that N-trig still isn't quite up to par with Wacom (pen needs too much force to start registering if the Surface Pro 3 demo units are any indication), and that's what most manufacturers use now if they even bother adding an active pen in the first place.

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Ok, time for Issue # 16 :rolleyes:

Something is not working with Quick Access shortcuts, both in the file explorer and in the taskbar. Please check the picture below:

right click.jpg

It's what's shown when I right-click on the folder icon in the task bar. The shortcuts shown are old, meaning they're not the most recent folders I've opened. Actually they're from way back when I first installed my apps after setting my Win10 account. I already tried disabling then reenabling recent files and folders both in folder options and in Settings -> Start.

The first weird thing is that neither enabling nor disabling those settings has any effect on the deployed list, and the same icons are shown over and over again. Also, I can't pin any new icon or unpin any of the shown ones.

The second weird thing is that I can't open any icon from the deployed list. When hovering over one, the path is shown correctly, the folder does exist in the location shown in the pop-up box. But when I click on the icon I get the above message, which translates to: "The selected element is not available. It may have been moved, renamed, or deleted. Do you want to remove it from the list?".

The third weird thing is that I can't remove any icon. Clicking on the "Eliminar" (remove) button does nothing. No error message is shown and the icon is not removed.

All this adds up to a useless recent list and equally useless Quick Access. I'm out of clues here. I thought it had something to do with permissions, but I already checked permissions for every folder in the list and also for the whole hard disk, and both System and Administrators have full access. I can rename, delete, move and otherwise modify every one of the folders shown in the list.

I have searched online but I've only found references for seemingly similar problems under Windows 7 and 8, and Win 10's behavior is sufficiently different that none of the suggested fixes apply or work. The only other thing to try is creating a new account and see if the error persists. If not, then I may have to delete my current account and create a new one, and somehow block it from restoring its settings from the cloud.

Any ideas about how to solve this problem?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Check your user login permissions, is all I can think of…assuming you're using a personal account to experience these failures. and, Good Luck!

jigwashere and raspabalsa like this.
  5. raspabalsa

Thanks, Rick. User login permissions seem to be ok, and yes, this is my personal account.

I created a new local "Standard Adult" (now that sounds silly!) account, and the recents list and Quick Access work fine. No errors, no old perpetually pinned icons. This user has full access to my hard disk, so the problem is not related to hard drive permissions.

I think I may have caused this problem myself, when I went from Windows 10 back to 8.1 while trying to troubleshoot issues # 1 through 14 or so. I remember I had problems when my Win10 account settings were restored to Win8.1 from the cloud, the taskbar and other items had some issues. Even though I later installed Windows 10 from scratch I guess some of these corrupted settings remain. Now the question is how to clean my account's settings. I suppose I could disable sync for this account, then create a new local account, then delete my cloud account from this computer and then create and login to it again. And keep my fingers crossed. Perhaps this will clear my account's settings from the cloud and create a new set of clean settings and permissions.

Ok, time to zap my account. Let's see how this goes. It may take a while to do so with both hands' fingers crossed!

6. RickAgresta

isn't Windoze fun..? :vbgrin:

scjjtt and raspabalsa like this.
  7. RickAgresta

almost forgot, and this is V*E*R*Y important: have you re-stocked your coffee tankers? :vbrolleyes:

lelisa13p, raspabalsa and scjjtt like this.
  8. raspabalsa

My bad, should have known that by now... I already managed to somehow lose all admin rights to my computer while trying to delete my account. Luckily I was able to restore my computer to a previous state and of course the original error was restored too. Back to square one, or rather 16 <sigh>
    To prevent further mishaps (and since NetB is nowhere to be seen, tanks and all) I decided to start using my extra large mug:

[​IMG]

For reasons unknown, it's labeled "Soup". Clearly some people have their food intake requirements all wrong! :D

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  9. RickAgresta

…wonder if there is any truth to the rumor that MS is going the Apple route: use our OS, use a PC *WE* sell…that might clear up some of these Win 10 issues, knowwhatImean?

scjjtt, jigwashere and raspabalsa like this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Maybe raspy should go the Apple route. ;)

scjjtt and raspabalsa like this.