General Windows 10 thread

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mitlov, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

We'd had a few leaked screenshots of Windows 10 and a very rough beta trial before, but with yesterday's presentation, we have a much better sense of where Windows 10 is going. I'm going to suggest restricting this thread to Windows tablets and PCs; Windows 10 will also exist on phones but will behave fundamentally differently on devices smaller than 8" (candidly, it behaves very much like Windows Phone 8.1 with some incremental improvements in various aspects; unlike the jump from Win8 to Win10 on PCs, it feels like a +0.1 update, not a whole new OS).

The desktop and continuum:

Windows will now automatically detect the size of the screen and type of device and try to tailor the UI to that. On laptops and desktops, this means no Start Screen but instead a start menu that has a "modern" look but is functionally very much like the Win7 start menu, plus the optional ability to pin live tiles in it as well.

On slates, it will still offer a start screen like Win8.x, but it'll have a left-hand column that has a lot of the start-menu-style options.

On convertible tablets, "continuum" will allow it to automatically detect when the device changes form factor and adjust accordingly.

On laptops and desktops:

[​IMG]

Continuum:

Expose...sorry, Task View

In addition to using the taskbar for multi-window management on the desktop, "Task View" brings the option to use an Expose-like arrangement of physical thumbnails of all open windows.

Also, there's multiple virtual desktops.

Cortana on all Windows devices

Microsoft was the last of the big three tech-wise to emphasize digital voice assistants, but was the first to really emphasize them in the desktop/laptop context (yes, I know technically speaking Google Now can do voice through Chrome, but it's hardly something Google emphasizes; and I don't think OSX has Siri yet). Not much to say here because I'm not a voice guy, but I could see this useful for people like my Dad.

New hardware paradigms

Windows 8 really put a focus on convertible tablets more so than previous versions of Windows had. Windows 10 emphasizes two new form factors: the Surface Hub, a smart whiteboard for business environments, and augmented reality visors (HoloLens), which can be useful for everything from 3D modeling to playing Minecraft. We don't know a lot about either yet, but those are the hardware form factors that we hadn't seen before.

However, I think it's safe to say that these new hardware paradigms are intended to supplement traditional form factors, not replace them. We saw plenty of ads with Windows 8 about how a convertible tablet can replace both your PC and your tablet, but I don't expect Microsoft to argue that a Surface Hub or a HoloLens is meant to replace traditional PCs. Just supplement them.

Pricing

For the first year of its availability, Win10 will be a free upgrade for Win7 and Win8 users. No details on pricing after that, but they at least alluded to the option of a subscription instead of an up-front purchase with repeated use of the phrase "Windows as a service" (kind of like you now have the option of subscribing to Office instead of paying an up-front sum, but you can still buy it up-front if you want). I certainly don't think they're doing away with the traditional up-front purchasing option by adding that option, though, and I assume most people will still just get a Windows license bundled with their new PC and never actually buy a stand-alone license either way.

jigwashere, weegie, scjjtt and 4 others like this.
  2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

First, thanks for making this thread, I suspect it will get a lot of use. I'm not going to parse whether or not and how much this conflicts with your idea of an office 365 like option (it may not conflict), but I am relieved to have it stated from the horse's mouth with some clarity that the upfront, one time purchase model is intact. I hate subscriptions. http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/
    The free upgrade is all the more stunning with that said. Certainly the cheapskate in me is happy at the prospect of going from 7 to 10 on my desktop without facing a twilight zone when 7 passes out of support, but the cynic in me is looking for the catch. I don't like subscriptions, but I actually do like paying. It makes me an owner (of sorts), with certain entitlements. Getting a freebie makes me feel like I might not be able to exercise my righteous indignation as much. And you can't let righteous indignation just atrophy. It's not like riding a bike. You gotta practice.

I also wonder how many tablets and laptops with various setups will easily upgrade to Windows 10 (on account of device specific drivers). That concern may be behind the times (has MS gotten good at collecting and distributing drivers? I basically ignore that part of Windows Update and get them straight from the manufacturer), I'm not sure.

RickAgresta, Hook, weegie and 2 others like this.
  3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

My VAIO Duo 11 will be the ultimate test for drivers, since Sony has left the US market, but I still intend on using it as a Win 10 guinea pig (since I now use my ThinkPad for work and the Chromebook for casual stuff).

Hook, weegie, Mi An and 1 other person like this.
  4. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Free isn't even a consideration for me personally, I'll happily pay for software I like.
    Haven't heard any crowing about perfect resolution scaling in 10 or anything else actually useful yet, but then I haven't really followed it much being the disillusioned Microsoft user that I am.
    The aesthetics are still turning me off, sure the start screen might be back but they look to have modernized it with their super ugly look they're specializing in these days.
    The little bit I've read about Cortana makes it seem much more intrusive than a voice assistant alone, I read someone mention it's a bit like having your own built in NSA installed, I would think/expect it can be disabled but it's not something I would really want to use myself as I'm firmly in the camp of talking only to living organisms if I can help it.;)

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Cortana is the opposite of having your own personal NSA installed. You must be thinking of Google Now ;) (I'm saying that as a Google Now user. It's super-useful but also sorta creepy).

Cortana has a "notebook" where you control what Cortana does and does not know about you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Cortana#Notebook

6. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

That's a useful bit of info Mitlov, yes Google, Microsoft, Apple, not interested in any of them "learning me" as such, the importance of Microsoft starting this sort of carry on is that my work life has depended a lot more on Microsoft than the others, I'm fine with the ability being there as long as it can be completely disabled and not use one byte of bandwidth or cpu cycle of my PC

scjjtt likes this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I only talk to living organisms, but I'm perfectly comfortable yelling obscenities at inanimate objects like the chair I stubbed my toe on or the car that wouldn't start when I was late for an appointment. :D

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  8. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Hahaha funny jig, touché

RickAgresta likes this.
  9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Windows 10 on a tablet actually looks very different than Windows 8. The Start Screen has a new (and more practical) layout, and the multitasking, and Task View beats the hell out of the left-bezel thumbnails in Windows 8.

I assume the stuttering has to do with the beta software, and won't be present with quality hardware and retail-release Windows 10.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    weegie, Mi An, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  10. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Yes it looks laggy as, a byproduct of a full desktop OS on mobile hardware? a good stylus/pen would be a wise choice for any OEM choosing to make a Windows 10 tablet, one that has the ability to function exactly like a mouse/cursor, I really like the fact they haven't put in the super long winded transition animations Windows Phone suffers from.

scjjtt likes this.