Gas Prices.......... INSANE!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NetBrakr, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Ok all, how many of you guys think that gas prices are insane? *NetB raises both of his hands* Sigh. I also wondering what is the gas prices at you area?
    Mine is like around $3.10. Sigh.

JC

2. Steverino

Steverino does not look like this.

About $2.87 in city limits of 60441. Of course I could drive three miles one way and it's $2.74, three miles the other way = $3.09. On my way home from work, I drive past three stations in a row, all within a 10 cent difference high-low. The regular gas stations seem to change prices very frequently, 48 to 72 hours sometimes. The truck stop near the shop I work at in 60447 is the most constant, prices stay the same for weeks at a time. I usually get fuel there on principal because it just feels like a poke in the eye when the prices change on a whim everywhere else.

3. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Hey guys, don't complain that much ...

Here in Europe (at least in Belgium) we pay about €1.25 per LITER (95 octane).
    That's roundabout 5.68 USD per gallon ...

4. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

*NetB's eyes open wide* HOLY!!!!!!!!!! $5.68!!!!! SIGH

JC

5. Steverino

Steverino does not look like this.

I'm not complaining so much as reporting facts. At least I have a job that I must drive to and not the unemployment office, or job corps (sp?) for the UK lot.

And we're buying 87 octane, 92 is top shelf here, for 20 cents more.

edited for spelling we're wrong, I know Nine gets annoyed when others can't spell

6. Ju4dy

Ju4dy Mobile Evangelist

yesterday in my area, west Los Angeles, I saw premium go over $4, and regular/low octane was not far below that. it's never been anywhere near that before but they are saying it will be going higher soon.

I'm far from being knowledgeable about this, the last time i was in Europe (and the only time) was 1968, but the need for gas didn't seem to be as extreme as it is where i live because of extensive affordable mass rapid transit in europe and because of shorter distances between destinations. i'm sure there's exceptions to that generalization, and maybe things have changed and what i'm saying is all wrong. As for me, i drive on my job and typically drive 500 or 600 miles per month just for work. we get reimbursed for mileage and we were getting 45 cents a mile for a while when gas prices were higher before, but then gas prices went down a little and they reduced it to 41 cents. i hope they've corrected that this month.

7. Slugsy

Slugsy Mobile Enthusiast

Here in the UK it costs me £1 for a litre of diesel. That's about US$ 6.70 for a US gallon. On the other hand, my compact MPV which seats seven does about 45 miles per UK gallon (I think that's about 38 miles per US gallon).

8. VampiressRN

VampiressRN James Bond Addict

OK....let me chime in here....I may be the winner of the ugly/costly/commuter award. I typically drive 250 miles round trip (Mon > Fri) to work. Regular gas is running $2.99 per gallon. My SUV gets approx 20 miles per the gallon. But I have a Bose stereo sound system with 6 CD changer in the dash and GPS, which somewhat helps to reduce the whole painful thing. I guess that statement "Americans have a love affair with their cars" applies to me.

[​IMG]

~editing to provide the bloody UK conversion~
    250 miles = 362 km
    $2.99 = 1.67 pds

9. LizG

LizG On a roll, but watch out

The price seems to vary in Sussex (UK). Petrol is 92.9p per litre where I live and now the worst of the cold winter weather has gone my fuel consumption has improved to 45mpg. I do about 27 miles a day but it is a lovely commute through the Sussex countryside - little rabbits playing on the verges, the odd fox or two - even saw a badger one evening (yes, alive, not a dead one at the side of the road)

10. eillo7

eillo7 Mobile Evangelist

...and therein lies the crux of the problem, does it not?

It isn't just the American love affair with cars, but with the big gas guzzlers that causes so much financial pain (not to mention greenhouse emissions).

Back in the 1970s the oil crisis persuaded many people to buy smaller, more economical cars. Maybe at last a similar thing might happen again. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.