Galaxy S5 home page has moved

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by abenn, Nov 9, 2015.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Not sure if this should be in the Android section or the Samsung section, so I'm starting here because it seems to get more footfall.

Some while ago the little home symbol that's usually the first of seven little dots near the bottom of my screen (sorry, I don't know what the correct term is, but the dots indicate which of the seven available screens I'm looking at) move to the fifth position instead of the first. So whenever I press the home button I get the fifth page, which happens to be blank. To get around that I dragged all my home page icons over to the fifth page, but I'd really like to get the home page icon back to its proper position in the line, and can't find any way to do it. I've tried holding the symbol, to drag it the same way I can drag and place icons, but all it does is display what page it is.

Any ideas please? My phone's running Android 5.0, but the issue has existed since before then.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Instructions from your manual:

Manage Home Screens
    Your phone comes with four home screens by default, and
    you can add more, up to a total of seven. You can also
    rearrange the home screens in a different order.
    1. From the Home screen, pinch the screen.
    – or –
    Touch and hold an empty space on the screen.
    2. Use these options to manage screens:
    • Add a screen: Scroll to the end of the screens, and then tap
    on a screen to add it.
    • Remove a screen: Touch and hold on a screen, and then
    drag it to the Remove icon.
    Set a screen as the main home screen: Tap at the
    top of a screen. This screen displays when you press the
    Home Key.

• Change the order of screens: Touch and hold on a screen,
    and then drag to a new position

EdmundDantes and scjjtt like this.
  3. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks for your quick reply, but I'm afraid that none of those does anything for me: If I pinch the screen I get menus for wallpapers, widgets, and home screen settings, but the home screen settings don't give me any option to move the home page position.

If I tap at the top of a screen it does nothing other than momentarily display the time and date.

If I touch and hold on a screen it just does the same as if I pinch it.

The only thing that works from those manual instructions is removal of a screen :-(

Edit: If I pinch the screen, I can then drag it to a new position, so I can get my home screen aligned with the home screen icon, but the icon is still at position #5 instead of #1. I'm only trying to get the icon back to position #1 out of a sense of tidiness, so maybe I shouldn't bother so long as pressing the home button takes me to wherever the icon is.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  4. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Move the screen to where you want it. Then tap the home icon at the top of it. (The screen that is the current home screen will have a filled in home icon, but whatever screen you are focusing on will have a home icon that is not filled in. Touching that unfilled-in icon will change it and make that screen your home screen)

JRakes, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  5. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks Hook. Since my last visit I've sorted it -- not very elegant, but what I did was drag my home screen from position #1 to position #5. But the home screen symbol then moved itself to position #4! So I then dragged each of my home screen icons from #5 to #4 one at a time. I then went back to my second screen, which had been #2 but was now #1, and dragged it across to position #5. Home screen symbol was now at position #3. Dragged my third populated screen across, and the home screen symbol was then at position #2, so I then deleted blank screen #1, and the home screen took its place.

It all took less time than it's taken me to write it down. Thank you jigwashere for getting my train of thought going.

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Beaten to the answer by Hook…glad it's sorted out

JRakes and scjjtt like this.
  7. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks for taking an interest RickAgresta. The reason I didn't catch on to the proper method of doing it initially is that the "home" icon looks the same to me on each of my screens, the only difference being there's a white boarder round the screen that's selected, but the icon is not filled in. Anyway I've tested it and whichever screen I tap the icon on immediately becomes the new home screen.