From Play to Z: An increasingly comprehensive, yet decidedly non-authoritative Moto Z Play review

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Mi An, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Well, I finally unlocked my bootloader, TWRP'd, added a special kernel, rooted and started restoring some titanium data. This was more tedious than using wugs toolkit, though z play 3rd party development has advanced some, as has documentation.

Indeed, the increased development is the reason I did it -- a very kind dev implemented KCAL color control in a kernel! I tested it tonight and it works like a charm. No more twilight and other shading apps for me. I'm back to seamless control and it feels good. Can't wait to read tonight with blue pixels turned completely off. It's the little things in life that make me happy. :newpalm:

scjjtt, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

RickAgresta, Hook and Mi An like this.
  3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I'm so glad to see the work Lenovo is doing with Motorola. I'm reminded of some conversations we had in the past..

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Mi An likes this.
  4. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

People, it happened! It really, really happened. Unless it didn't and it's a scam. Or I'm dreaming right now. But if it isn't fake, then it is real! :vbrolleyes: :vbtongue: A tilting, sliding, 5 line QWERTY for a fantastic phone: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/physical-keyboard-mod-for-moto-z#/

I didn't get them to offset the keys, but they did add tilt and the newest layout reflects some of my feedback. And it's $60 early bird, which is crazy good. Despite being really skeptical of crowdfunding, I'm in. It's on like Donkey Kong. Should I order a second? A third? The reseller 10 pack?

Edit (later that day): The euphoria has passed. I've thought of additional means beyond 1) dream 2) scam which could and perhaps must deny me a tilting keyboard. Most crowdfunding campaigns fail to raise enough money in the first place. This one isn't off to a great start. They don't seem to have a media strategy despite trying to raise $100k -- a reasonable amount considering the craftsmanship that goes into a good tilting sliding keyboard. This isn't just slapping a $5 battery in $0.10 worth of plastic and wiring a connector.

Without doing more than a few posts on forums, they've managed to become the second highest raising mod on Lenovo's Transform the Smartphone Challenge in a day while others have been raising money for weeks. But closing the first day at 12% of their goal is iffy. Day one is the big day. Even raising double that wouldn't feel great. Donations will slow to a trickle without new exposure in new venues, in particular, actual press coverage. And they aren't often fond of covering stuff after launch day when it no longer feels like news.

If they raise the money, all crowdfunding comes with delays, even the ones who know what they're doing. Delays often turn into cancellations after protracted excuse making and desperate flailing. Especially when manufacturing is part of the process. More worrying is this new company thinks they might deliver keyboards by... July. Of this year. Their prototype isn't even finished.

I am still excited. There are so many ways for me to not get my QWERTY, the anticipation of finding out which one will actually kill the dream is tangible. :vbrolleyes: Imagine an alternate universe Frodo is approaching Mt. Doom but this time Sauron has all the villains from Looney Toons, Marvel and D.C. hiding in the shadows to ambush him on the last mile. Will the Green Goblin foil the hobbit with a dastardly choice? Will Poison Ivy lean down and deliver the kiss of death? No, it'll probably be Wile E. Coyote with an anvil. Never send a hobbit to do a roadrunner's job.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Hook, RickAgresta, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

I agree that July 2017 would have to be a pipe dream unless they already have the manufacturing chain ready to go. And while I know that manufacturing crowdsourcing has a shaky track record, I will hope for a very nice Christmas present for you. :vbwink:

6. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I spent part of my weekend contacting outlets, writers and editors for the keyboard campaign. I missed some very important neflixing, but I negotiated with the mod maker in advance so my efforts could be rewarded. Got some good coverage, saw a good funding boost from it, and while I wish I'd had a bigger impact I'd hate to think where things would be now if I hadn't done it. It'd be 10 times as hard to get half the coverage next weekend because it would be so long after the launch. And the hundreds of first touch contacts that didn't cover it this week are more aware of it and more likely to cover it in the future, either because I contacted them or because they saw the coverage by other blogs.

The boost itself also helps the campaign look more viable and thus more newsworthy, though I'd say it's on the bubble to even making full funding at the moment. There are 36 days left, and lots could happen in that time frame, but it's not yet clear what's likely to happen to get things moving again. It can't trickle its way to the finish line yet, so more profile-raising events are needed. Hopefully I don't talk myself into more work next weekend, because Cheers isn't going watch itself.

7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Livermorium (the company making the keyboard) hired someone for P.R. They also got invited to Moto HQ to pitch their mod for moto/lenovo backing and/or distribution as part of Moto's 'transform the smartphone' challenge, which spawned this and some 50+ other mods on indiegogo. I think there were about 10 winners invited. They also announced adding 20 days to the campaign. Hopefully that all helps them reach the finish line. The prototype has been taking shape and design has slowly been finalizing, here are the latest visuals:
    Zpro.png
    zProtilt.png

Yeah, it's gonna be chunky. I'm cool with that, but I fear how others may react.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  8. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I don't want to spoil any news upcoming from the keyboard mod people, but you can read into the following emoticons and video however you choose.

:vbgrin::vbgrin::vbgrin::vbgrin::vbgrin::D:D:D:D:D:):):newpalm::):):D:D:D:D:D:vbgrin::vbgrin::vbgrin::vbgrin::vbgrin:

9. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

The keyboard mod managed to get full indiegogo funding. Long way still to ship a real product, but a pretty impressive milestone too.

10. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

My wife's Moto Z Droid Play just arrived. Unfortunately, I'm going out of town for the week-end and she doesn't want me to set up an unfamiliar phone and then just leave (a wise decision) so I won't get around to setting it up until Monday. I did take it out of the box a moment and hold it and it is beautiful (she chose the white model with gold metal trim). Nice, satisfying thickness and heft, which is really good for her hands (she has tremors). Can't wait to set it up and run it through it's paces-- but I will. :vbwink: