From Play to Z: An increasingly comprehensive, yet decidedly non-authoritative Moto Z Play review

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Mi An, Jan 24, 2017.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Mi An likes this.
  2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I've continued to charge this up at the 50% mark, which represents about 2 days of use. This spends less time on a charger per week than my Nexus 4 spent per night. And before I charge it, it still has more left in the tank than either of my Nexii had to begin with. I like the idea of always having more than a full day's battery life in my back pocket, just in case of emergency or spontaneity. I never get tired of having a battery that never gets tired.

You've made several posts about it. Are you thinking someday you might get a Z? The speed at which the price has gone down of the flagship Z was pretty aggressive. It might be quite cheap indeed when they unleash a Z2. I've always figured that long term, Moto wanted those high margin mods to bring down the price of their phones so they can give away the razor and sell the blades.

scjjtt, Hook, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  3. scjjtt

Mi An - the Moto Z or a later one would definitely be a phone I would consider. Right now that is in the future, since I just got my LG v10 back in the fall. I normally want a phone that has a replaceable battery - but I'm very impressed with the battery life that you and others are reporting.

With my v10 I almost always have to put a second battery in sometime in the afternoon. This past weekend the phone was eating up the battery in just a couple of hours with little use. There was a T-Mobile update that didn't work until I took the phone off of WiFi. Maybe that update just sitting there waiting to begin was the thing that was draining my battery. According to my Battery Usage the T-Mobile app was using more battery than my screen. Hopefully it has been fixed since the update - at least it isn't the app drawing the most battery as it was on Saturday. Yesterday, Sunday, I was able to go the entire day on 1 battery - but then, my phone use was little.

I am quite satisfied with my Lenovo TAB 2 tablet. I have appreciated what Lenovo is doing and do hope that they'll continue to offer great products at great values as they have been doing.

Keep enjoying your Moto Z and I'll enjoy it, for now, at a distance!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  4. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Not sure about the battery life on the full strength Z, but moto mods should be great supplements. They're a little over-priced at the moment, but maybe by the time you're in the market again that will change. There's more and more competition among accessory companies and that should drive prices down eventually.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Right now, for 48 hours, Moto is offering a "Sweatheart Deal" of a free Moto mod with any Moto Z model. I think it's only certain mods with certain Z derivatives, but I don't have the details. They sent me an email about it, but I haven't fully investigated.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  6. scjjtt

Hook and Mi An like this.
  7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I've read that you can't actually use the moto mod batteries directly, they can only recharge the internal battery. Unlike, for example, thinkpad models which can use second batteries directly thus saving charge/discharge cycles on a main battery. This kind of throws a wrench in my plans for this to be a really long term phone. I figured the mods were a workaround for Z not having a removable battery. Ah well. I hope the Z Play holds it value well over the next year. Maybe future Z models will be a little more repairable.

scjjtt, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  8. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

9. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Unfortunately, the pic they use is a tray slider, not a hinged slider. That may be just a stock placeholder image, but you should communicate with them to see if you can influence design.

10. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I've already convinced them to think about the tilt, though I'm certainly prepared to lose that battle. But they have made other changes just today so anything could happen. I hope they succeed wildly either way because that might spark more interest in making keyboards, but I'm not at all convinced this one will end up being tolerable. For a sure thing ordered at retail from Motonovo to my specs, I'd spend as much as I spent on the phone, but generally, I'm not super eager to dump even $100+ (I'm guessing) into uncertain crowdfunding for a newly formed company to make something iffy for the first time.

It's still a milestone. I bet there will be a BB/Treo style announcement in the not too distant future as well. The more the better IMO.