From a Tx to a Centro & Happy

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ward.smith, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

If you have been paying attention to the posts on the Centro forum lately, you will have noticed my name attached to quite a few of them. At the end of August, I got a Centro (free from Verizon). During the past few weeks I have been migrating from my Tx (I actually own 2 Tx’s) to my Centro one app at a time. Fortunately most of my Tx apps are compatible with and appropriate for my Centro. After completing the migration, I began looking for apps that were more Centro specific and would enhance my Centro. I currently have 64 apps on my Centro and it runs like a top.

I am really happy with my new Centro and I am surprised that I barely miss my Tx. I do miss the large Tx screen, but many of the apps that I use did not take full advantage of it; and most of the apps that did, work fine on my Centro. The only 2 apps that bother me at all are TCPMP and SplashPhoto, because I formatted all of my photos and videos for a larger screen. I do not really miss the screen size for SplashMoney and DocsToGo as I thought I would. I think that my new Centro has a more vibrant screen. That means that most of my apps look better and are slightly more viewable on my Centor than they were on either of my Tx’s.

I do not miss graffiti at all. I can already type as fast with the keyboard as I could with graffiti. Initially I thought the keyboard would be a problem, but it is not. My big hand and fingers move quite well on it. Of course I still use TextPlus. I absolutely love the way the 5-way button works. It is a much better design than on the Tx and my apps actually take advantage of it. It has become a very useful tool for me.

As far as a pda, the Centro is great. I never though I would like a PDA better than my M515, my T3, or my Tx. Palm had such an innovative run. Each one was so magical and better than the previous one as was the IIIc for that matter (the first color Palm PDA that I owned). My point is that my Centro is already feeling pretty magical.

I never thought I wanted a converged device either. I always had reasons for wanting 2 devices; but now I see that a majority of my reasons were lame. I really like having one device in my pocket. My Centro is barely bigger than my old Razr. It really is great only carrying one device.

I do not really miss wifi that much either. I have an unlimited data plan and the coverage is excellent so I actually use the internet a lot more. Both VersaMail and Blazer work great for my internet needs. I had more problems with both on my Tx.

Finally, what will I do with my 2 Tx’s? I will sell the newer one and keep the old one with the glass digitizer for watching videos (which I rarely do), listening to music in my car, and pairing with a GPS device in my car. I think that basically my Tx will live in my car. Of course I can do all of those things on my Centro; but that way my Centro can just stay in my pocket until I need it elsewhere.

This is just the beginning of my Centro threads. I want to talk about apps gadgets and a variety of other things so stay tuned

2. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

I'm with you. I got my (unlocked GSM) Centro a few months ago and it has pretty much taken over the PDA role from my Zodiac as well as being a pretty nice phone. I still mash the wrong button every now and then when texting or e-mailing, but it's a lot easier than text entry on my Motorola phone ever was.

As often as I said I didn't like a converged device because of battery life and other compromises, I haven't managed to run the battery below about 95% in quite a while. (The car charger I ordered with the Centro has never been plugged in.) While my Treo 600 was a too-big phone and a too-small PDA, the Centro seems like a better-executed compromise.

I did have to upgrade to T-Mobile's "Total Internet" plan, but it's well worth the price. The Gmail app works, Google Maps works, and of course Blazer and SnapperMail (and VersaMail, if I feel like going old-school) all work like they're supposed to. (And one of my favorite silly old apps, Godot 1.0--which didn't work on the Zodiac--works on the Centro. When I win a Patience game, the music plays properly, and the sounds in Tricorder 1.0c play properly too.)

I still use my Zodiac when I want the wide-screen experience or if I'm out on my deck and want to listen to some music (love that Yamaha stereo!). And the Zodiac can connect to the Centro via BT for wide-screen web browsing (slow but geeky fun) with nWeb if I want to be really silly.

3. awerner68

awerner68 Mobile Enthusiast

Ward, I'm with you on your assessment. I moved from a TX to Centro in June (using Verizon). The two items that I miss are: VZ Navigator and Stereo Bluebooth.

BlueTooth:
    I tried software to enable stereo bluetooth and didn't really like it. Stability problems, bluetooth distance problems (dropped connections), so I went back to wired headphones and enjoy them.

GPS:
    Went ahead and purchased a GPS (Garmin) and actually enjoy having separate devices. The larger screen GPS screen is nicer then VZNavigator.

4. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

I'm glad you're transition has gone so well & it's good to hear of the other positive experiences. I'm still not ready to get converged, but I figure within a year or so, I'll probably get there and am scoping out the options.

Thanks for letting us know of your experiences!

5. Kalakaka

Kalakaka Mobile Enthusiast

After reading your comments, I'm seriously considering getting a Centro. I have a Palm TX right now but have been contemplating the Centro.

6. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Most carriers give a trial period with a new phone so you can try it out. I still miss the Tx big screen but that is about it. My favorite new app is USB Modem which allows me to use my centro as a modem connected to my MacBook. I am using it right now. If I had cell reception where I lived, I would be in heaven.

7. EDEd

EDEd Mobile Evangelist

That is what I am doing now... Switching to a Centro. My Centro arrives today. I believe I will be able to take my TX directory and rename it. Then I can start fresh with the Centro and still have my TX stuff on my hard drive just in case.

8. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Let us know what you think?

9. linedog

linedog Mobile Consultant

I also went from a TX to a Centro. I still have my TX as a back up, use it every now and then, but less and less. Love my Centro.

10. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I only use my Tx as an music layer with a 16GB card at home. My Centro goes everywhere. I am using it right now as a modem for my MacBook. No wifi, no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.