Freewrite Traveler eink smart typewriter open for preorder at indiegogo $329

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Mi An, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Congratulations, Mi An. Would love to see some real life pics. :vbwink:

2. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

The juggler is wise. It does usually goes the other way, in life as in tech shipping.

Was thinking about doing a full glam photoshoot this weekend. I haven't used my bluetooth thinkpad keyboard in a while. Gonna have to dig around.

3. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

So I can plug a normal desktop keyboard into my Hisense A5, it recognizes it instantly and it works. My thinkpad folio keyboard can plug into my desktop and work fine, so the keyboard isn't broken or anything, but there's no response when I plug it into the a5 (or my first gen moto g) using the same otg cable. The thing was made for an android tablet in the first place, but is still recognizable by windows, so it must not be using anything too proprietary. It does have the optical trackpoint in addition to the keyboard, maybe that requires a special driver to work via usb or maybe it draws too much power, not sure. Would have been nice if it'd worked. Inclined to go the bluetooth route now, if I can ever find mine.

I charged it to 100% last night, time to do one battery test on power save mode and another on super power save. Hopefully it'll take a few weeks to finish that testing. I don't think normal people get as much joy from absurdly long battery life as I do. I still dream of a day where power is delivered OTA by wifi routers constantly and phones and accessories never, ever need to be plugged in. If this thing can do a week with substantial SOT, I think I'll be pretty happy. If it goes any longer I'll be giddy.

4. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

a5c.jpg a5e.jpg a5d.jpg a5a.jpg

I'm not sure what possessed me to add an extension cable between my otg cable and the thinkpad folio keyboard. I was having a vague memory last night about some cable configuration from decades ago, something irrelevant, but I was tired enough to just try it even though it didn't make sense and my phone instantly recognized the keyboard and even the optical trackpoint too. I don't even care why it works, it works. Huzzah!

It looks a bit unwieldy at the moment, but despite appearances it is stable, no danger of anything falling over even if I intentionally jostle it. The only sugru I have handy is dried out, so I can't put rails in place to hold the phone as I intended yet, and I need a shorter extension cable anyway. I'm currently using markor as a text editor, but I'm not attached to it. It was free and easy to download as an apk from fdroid that could be installed from the sdcard. As I've mentioned I plan to use this offline for the time being, so no app stores.

I love using it. It's the eink I love to use outdoors and the keyboard config that I've become very comfortable with ever since I got my Dell Venue 8 pro, maybe even before that. Took me a while to find a chiclet keyboard I could live with. I loathe flat keys. I need a little shape that I can feel as my fingers glide across the keys or else I feel blind and end up having to stare at the keyboard. My typing isn't that fast to begin with, so a flat keyboard like the one on my transformer android tablet from many moons ago slowed me to an intolerable crawl. Then I found the thinkpad chiclet. A nice consistent product that feels much the same on my wireless, wired and laptop dock configurations.

Because this keyboard was configured for android, albeit a very, very long time ago, it has a number of keys that work. I can lock and unlock the phone from the lock key. The media, volume, home and back buttons work. Zoom and brightness don't work, zoom might have been nice to have. In any case, this'll do nicely. I've wanted an eink typewriter for a long time. Seemed like such a simple thing to want, but anyone sort of interested in creating one either wanted to greatly limit the software capabilities or charge an arm and a leg or both. This gives me the features and freedom I want at a price I can afford.

I do wish that, instead of a folio, I had a laptop style case. But I have time to build something like that around one of my thinkpad keyboards. Time to figure out better software too. But even as is, it ain’t bad. :newpalm:

5. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Extrapolating from a 50% usage and my own usage patterns, looks like the Hisense A5 is good for 10 days of standby and 14 hours of SOT on power save mode in airplane mode. This thing is a fantastic sleeper, which it should be, but my last eink tab wasn't, so I'm really glad this is working properly.

Next test: super power save mode. What the heck is that? I have no idea, I was just looking through the settings and there it was. Plan to charge to full tonight and switch that on and see what happens. Might disable the clock on the lock screen too. Just to try and find the maximum possible life.

Finding a super power save mode for me is probably like a normal person finding a super overclock mode. Fun!

scjjtt, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

On some (more mainstream [no offense intended!]) devices, the super power-saver mode affects communications (to a lesser extent than airplane mode) by having the radios time-out sooner than in a different mode.

7. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

:vbeek:

[​IMG]

:vbtongue:

I'm already in airplane mode, so I was hoping they had something more in mind than that. Like the ability to tap into the zero point energy field.

But you're probably right, I shouldn't get my hopes up.

8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Mi An, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  9. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

sugruhisense2.jpg

My sugru came recently to form mounts for a nice sturdy setting. It still looks wonky, but it works well. I might someday get around to getting shorter cabling in place, but it's not in the way, so no hurry. I've wanted something that functions along these lines for a long time and it feels finished, if very unpolished.

Sadly the super power mode didn't change much, if anything, as Rick warned. That's fine, regular power save mode will do nicely.

10. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I love it!!! :newpalm: