Freewarepalm.com gone for good???

Discussion in 'Palm General' started by RevZach, Nov 27, 2015.

1. RevZach

RevZach Mobile Consultant

freewareppc.com is still up! What the heck? I would totally help support the site if they needed support! Or I'd pay money for a DVD image of the site as it was in the end....

If it truly is gone, this is indeed BLACK FRIDAY.

2. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Apparently. There is, however, this in the Netherlands:

http://freeware.palmclub.nl/

Also, this page from fellow BHer Syncraven:

https://files.secureserver.net/0fpfSpPCLepyEp

scjjtt likes this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

scjjtt likes this.
  4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Rev, still up or down?

scjjtt likes this.
  5. RevZach

It's still down... It says "Could not determine user from environment" and nothing else. Anyone know about that?

Still seems so odd that freewareppc.com, which was obviously run by the same people (exact same look, fonts, logos, format, etc.), is still up, but not the palm sister site. Is it me or are pocket PCs even more dead than palms, as a platform?

6. RevZach

RickAgresta likes this.
  7. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

The Internet Archive has a working archive from August 13th. All snapshots after that come up with the same error message, so something happened in the latter part of August. When I tried a couple of random download links from the August 13th snapshot, they actually appeared to work. So it might be that the server that serves the software is stil up and running, but something bamboozled the web page and it hasn't been fixed. A whois query reveals that the domain was renewed in Oct of 2015 and doesn't expire until October 2016, so it is possible that it will be back and this is temporary. who knows? :vbwink:

lelisa13p, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  8. RevZach

VERY good to know... I guess I should download as many files as I can through the waybackmachine, before they may really-for-real go down...

9. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I'd also suggest seeing if you can find an email for the site runners, and offer to send them a flash drive or a small payment in exchange for the app library. Even if it comes back, it's not going to exist forever, and your best bet is to amass as much offline files as possible. Palm OS is dead, there's no new development, and eventually all those sites are going to be gone. Best to get hard backups while you can.

10. RevZach

It's not dead...waaaaait for it.....IN MY HEART.

PAAHAHAHA!! Seriously, though, I'm going to be rocking this T3 until all my parts are exhausted and all the batteries depleted and replacements are prohibitively expensive, so your idea is a good one.