Freeware alt to FontSmoother?

Discussion in 'Themes and Skins (Palm OS)' started by Cerebrious Genius, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerebrious Genius

Cerebrious Genius Mobile Deity

Is there such a thing as a freeware alternative to fontsmoother? I am already using fonthackV with YAHM, and it works great, but the DejaVu Sans font I'm using looks a mite choppy without some kind of antialiasing prog.

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

FontSmoother is the only anti-aliasing font software out there. The rest only replace fonts.

3. Cerebrious Genius

Okay. :D It does seem to be worth it anyway.

4. FerdFerd

FerdFerd Recovering Palm Fiddler

I don't know how many free Alex Pruss applications you use, but when faced with actually paying for one of his, before I think of it as expensive, I divide the cost by the total number of his applications that I depend upon. For me it comes out to a few cents per application.

(I have registered copies of FontSmoother, myKbd, and OnTop, for which I happily paid. The last purchase on that list was mostly a donation, since much of its function can be replicated by two pieces of freeware, and I received a copy as a beta tester.)

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Mobile Evangelist

I would buy fontsmoother if I could find, or possibly make, a font that looks exactly like the palm fonts but is smoothed.

6. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

I didn't get a packet.

(SR pouts...)

7. FerdFerd

FerdFerd Recovering Palm Fiddler

I think you should be able to capture the fonts from your Palm using Alex Pruss's free program, Font Collector. Then you could use it with FontSmoother to, um, smooth the fonts.

FontSmoother has a free trial, and I'm sure the distribution for it tells you how to get Font Collector if it isn't included. Give it a shot.

Google told me FontCollector is here. You may need to register to get it there.

8. Cerebrious Genius

I am not saying that getting good software is not worth money, but I just wanted to know if there was anything else on the table before buying.
    ( ex. Why buy MS word if Open Office.org will do? )

I use 'EasyConvert' for my fonthackV on YAHM. You can get it here. Fast and straightforward. The only problem is that it has an installer, so after you are done using it once or twice, you won't want it anymore, and you will have to go through the trouble of uninstalling.

9. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

... and, apparently, labels.

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Mobile Evangelist

I (finally) tried that, and font smoother doesn't anti-alias the font that I pulled out with FontCollector (result being that FontSmoother does absolutely nothing).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.