free mp3 player w/ custom timer

Discussion in 'Multimedia (Windows Mobile)' started by Mi An, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I grew fairly accustomed to ptunes' (palm) ability to play a little music on a loop but still 'stop playing after x minutes'. I used it at night to help lull myself closer to sleep. I haven't found a similar option in wmp, which is a shame, but I'm looking for an alternative. This doesn't strike me as the type of feature that will get listed on a feature page, so I'm hoping someone here might know of some good options off the top of their head.

Thanks.

Oh, btw, this is my first forum post from Syd. The sad part is I type so slowly to begin with, that this didn't take much longer than usual. :(

EDIT: My preferred solution from below
    Great custom sleep timer. Can change sleep timer in 1 minute increments, device turns off (if you check "power off") immediately after it runs out (it doesn't just stop the player and wait for your power settings to shut it down). It has a menu option to manually turn the display off while keeping the music running, and if you prefer it to turn off automatically while on battery, you can set a 5-300 second timer for doing that too. The options menu is rich as is the ability to customize functionality and appearance. It's an older program, but it has it where it counts if you need a good sleep timer.

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

if it was me, Mi An, I'd contact NormSoft and see if they would transfer your registration from your TX to your TP2, for free; my fallback position would be to ask for a reduced price. this assumes that pTunes on WinMo has the features you're looking for -- there are a number of feature differences between the Palm and WinMo versions.

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

What a coincidence! I was looking at Normsoft's site last night to see if there were an automated way to transfer my license. I don't think there is. In fact, the impression I get is that they won't transfer the license. But it won't hurt to ask (and then report back to us)! :newpalm:

4. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

I had emailed Normsoft when I got my WM device, and sadly, they would not transfer the license. I don't know of a 3rd-party mp3 player that has the feature the OP wants. However if you are looking for a more finger friendly player, try S2P. It is one of the better ones I have used for WM.

5. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

That's too bad. I would kind of expect that response though, since I wouldn't think they really have the ability to disable the Palm version of the same serial (if there is even a serial attached to the palm version). I guess I could try "but Agendus swapped versions for jiggy (And Pleco did it for me), is Agendus (/Pleco) a better company than you are?"

I suppose I could try to find a separate program that I could set a timer to turn off the device regardless of activity. Or I could just plug it in and leave it going all night, as much a waste as that would be. Or I could pry open my wallet again (after confirming ptunes winmo has the correct functionality)... :eek: And I might try RA's reduced price suggestion. It never hurts to try.

Thanks everyone for chiming in though. :)

6. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

The company that created Mundu IM also transferred my license, no questions asked. They are quite pleasant to deal with.

Like Normsoft, the makers of PocketQuicken will not transfer licenses across platforms.

I hope you find an MP3 player that meets your needs!

7. jigwashere

Are there macros or other programs for Windows Mobile that could either shut down your MP3 player or reboot your device at a particular time? Does SPBackup have an option to reboot after a backup? Maybe you could schedule that for your snooze time.

8. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

When I was Mi An's age I feel asleep to a record, no timers needed. :p The one side of the record had both the Peer Gynt Suite and Bolero. I never made it to Bolero. In fact I generally never made it to the Hall of the Mountain King. ;)

9. jigwashere

A couple of apps I found might work, but are not free:

pTravelAlarm for Windows Mobile $12.50

Mobile Sleep is $4.98

10. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

What is this weird technology you speak of?
    This one interesting. Thanks! I can't find a demo for it yet, but I'm interested. Using that I wouldn't be tied to any music
    player, if I found something better later.

I suppose following Hook's creative example, I could just define some x minute long playlists and turn off repeat. I typically fall asleep to a single short piece on a loop, but change happens, and I can roll with the punches.