Free cell phone reverse phone directory

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MPSmith, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MPSmith

MPSmith Mobile Deity

Does anyone know of a free service for a reverse phone number look-up for cell phones?

Thanks...

2. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

Well there is actually a palm program if you are interested. A great little free app: Directory Assistant

If you are just looking for a one time deal you can Google "phone lookup" and you will get plenty of websites. I think I have tried this one in the past.

3. MPSmith

MPSmith Mobile Deity

I really want a website, not a program but thanks!

I've been googling all night, but haven't found any free sites for cell phones. There are plenty of free sites for land lines, but not cell phones.

4. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

Did you try the "one" i linked to? I tried with my cell phone but all it said was the town it was linked to and the cell provider. Then again I think I opted out of listing my name in the phone book.

I will look around for you. Hope your night is going better then it sounds!

mp

5. MPSmith

MPSmith Mobile Deity

I tried your link, but it wants a fee to release the owner name.

Thanks, though.

6. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

I certainly hope that they don't change that anytime soon. I'd really hate it if people can look up my cell number.

Right now, it's the only way I can avoid telemarketers, especially now that I don't have a landline but my cell is my main phone.

7. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

I'm not sure of the international implications, maceyr, but I don't think it would hurt if you registered at the Do Not Call registry. At the very least it might prevent U.S. based telemarketers from bothering you.

8. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

Thanks for the heads up. Thankfully, I have not received any US based telemarketers calling, even on my old landline. I was getting quite annoyed at the amount of aggressive telemarketers that just wouldn't take no for an answer. Then, I got my Treo and disconnected and it's so nice.

Now that I've only got my cell, it's been so nice an quiet that I don't miss not having a regular phone at all, well, except when my Treo is acting up. Then, I just put the SIM in my old Nokia phone and start troubleshooting my Treo.

I know that it's a matter of time before cellular numbers are listed but right now, I'm just glad that it isn't so easily accessible. Well, at least if someone has to pay to access the info, it may prevent people from looking me up, well, at least for a few more years. And then, I guess I have to pay to unlist my cell phone number. Hmph.

9. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

I have found they often accept f*** o** as an answer if it's shouted loud enough and often enough - but that isn't a very ladylike option for you, Maceyr :)

10. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

To the best of my knowledge, there is no directory listing for cell phones. Carriers don't want to upset their customer base by making private numbers available to grubby marketers, etc. I can't say I blame them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.