For Anyone With Apple AirPods Sticker-shock....

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Jan 28, 2018.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

So, I've been listening/watching a lot of audio/video podcasts these days, and I got kinda tired of dealing with wired headphones all the time. Don't get me wrong -- this is not Internetpilot drinking the no-headphone-jack Kool-Aid. I already have a pair of cheap bluetooth earbuds that have a the wire connecting the two buds together, but that wire sometimes gets in the way almost as much as just a wired pair of earbuds. Plus, they're 3 or 4 year old technology, and it was high time to see what's new.

And that's when I saw Apple AirPods. :eek:

And then I saw their pricetag. :eek:o_O:confused::(:mad:

After watching a YouTube review on AirPods, the next suggested video was for AirPod knock-off clones that were a fraction of the price, but unfortunately didn't perform remotely like the overpriced original. And then I found these (called AirHeadset):
    [​IMG]
    Not exactly AirPod clones, but very similar style and MUCH better reviews than the other clones that look more like AirPods.

Like AirPods, they come with a case that's actually a battery that charges the individual AirHeadsets. It will apparently charge them four times before the case battery needs to be charged again (through a regular ol' micro USB port). There's an LED on the case that changes colors when charging, and the button on each earbud also changes color while charging. The battery in the earbuds will supposedly last up to 4 hours, and that's pretty much what I've encountered (if not actually a little longer). They're impressive loud! I can only play music and/or podcasts with the phone/tablet/watch (yes, they work with my Zenwatch 3!) volume at like maybe halfway. They're really easy to pair. For the initial pairing it's just the usual long-press of the button on one of the earbuds (until there's an alternating red/blue light), and then I pair it with which ever device, and once that's done I just press the button on the second earbud and it pairs with the first airbud. For future use, I just press one of the earbud buttons for like a solid second, it connects to my phone, and then I just press the button on the second earbud. Either button can be used to pause or play sound/music, and the same button is used to answer and hangup a phone call. To turn them off I just press either earbud button for a couple of seconds and they both turn off.

They don't have all the fancy bells and whistle features of the Apple AirPods, like connecting automatically when you open the case, charging automatically when you close the case, automatically pausing the sound/music when you remove an earbud from your ear, triggering Siri (or the Google Assistant), etc. But, almost all of those fancy features don't work on Android devices anyway. So for Android users you're getting a very similar feature set, but at a huge $110 savings. Yep, the genuine AirPods are $159 and the AirHeadsets are only $49 (and will probably get cheaper a lot sooner than the AirPods). And unlike the genuine AirPods (only available in white), you can get the AirHeadsets in black, too.

So, I'm really liking these things, even if they do look a bit too much like I'm wearing earrings. It's definitely a look. I think I can pull it off. :rolleyes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Y18CXD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

How long have you been using them? The few negative reviews for the product mentioned that the product failed after a week or so or that the volume was too low or that it was difficult to return/replace item when defective. Most reviews were on the same note as yours. :vbsmile:

I am considering.

3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

It's been about a week. Uh-oh...failure is eminent...haha.

I've used them quite a bit though. They're a new toy, so I've actually been finding ways to use them, so I'm probably using them more than I used to use my wired earbuds.

So far, I've had a couple of very minor glitches only, and honestly, I hesitate to even call them glitches. Like, after the one earbud connected to my my phones bluetooth, when I connected the second earbud to the first one, even though it game me the computerized "TWS connected" voice message, it still only played the audio out of the first earbud only. I simply turned them off and reconnected them and they were fine. I've also noticed that one earbud takes a little longer to charge than the other one does, but I think that may actually be "normal" because I suspect the earbud that does the main pairing with the source device probably uses more power than the one that just pairs with the other earbud. But that's just my theory.

Knock on wood, I haven't had any of those problems yet. I have to say, though, I've never had a problem with returning anything to Amazon, and I've definitely done my fair sure of returns -- both immediately as well as like the last day of the return window.

All that being said, since I bought these their rating on Amazon did go down from 4.5 stars to 4 stars, so apparently some people are having some issues with them. Once of the reasons I bought these over others was the 1/2 - 1 star higher rating of these.

jigwashere, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.