Flying with iPaq, questions about power

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by aardwolf204, Dec 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aardwolf204

aardwolf204 Mobile Deity

Im going to fly from VA to CA soon and am planning on bring only my iPaq. Im going to get bored on the flight and im worried about my battery.

I havent flown in a long time and someone told me that airliners have cig lighter power ports, is this true?

if so, how would i constuct a power adapter for my ipaq?

thanks

2. imported_slippygod

imported_slippygod Nuclear-protonic member!

I've heard this as well, but I think those power outlets are only on some airliners in probably business class. If you do happen to get one with power, any DC adapter that outputs no more than 6.5 V with a + tip should work.

3. imported_dreampages

imported_dreampages Senior Member

Most American Airlines planes have them throughout. American uses actualy cigarette lighter sockets so you can use the iPAQ Auto Adapter.

Delta and others have a special socket. I recommend purchasing the Targus travel kit.

Larry

4. MrWhipple

MrWhipple Don't squeeze the XV6700!

I've flown several times this year on American Airlines 757s and (brand new) 737-800's. Neither of these had power ports in coach.

The in-flight magazine had a diagram showing me where to look. I looked. Nothing.

Good luck.

5. dracula

dracula Guest

I'm pretty positive power hookups are for business and first class ONLY.

6. masitti

masitti Mobile Deity

you could make a battery pack for it (go to the www.pocketpcpassion.com forums) - there are types and such. this is probably the best way, and is fairly cheap.

7. imported_dreampages

imported_dreampages Senior Member

Guess I've been lucky. I've flown 3 times in the last 3 months on American. Always sat in coach, always had a plug. This was on a 757 and 737's. Sat in the front of coach, middle, and back. The back 3 rows on the 757 didn't have plugs but I switched with someone 3 rows ahead that did have one.

Did take awhile to find the damn thing the first time. I kept looking around the arm of the chair. They are actually on the legs of the seats a few inches above the floor. They are ordinary cigarette lighter sockets.

I did find them sparce on Delta's 757's.

Larry

8. kinged

kinged Mobile Deity

Just get ipowerpack from

http://www.data-nation.com/

Actually one of my friend made one for me from Radio Shack. I had been on 14 hours flight. And they work great.

I use MAHA rechargeable batteries from

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

You will never need to buy batteries again.
    I strongly recommand them.

9. christak

christak Mobile Deity

I agree... The iPowerPak is the way to go!! That is what I've been using for the past several months -- Works great!

10. imported_ekkie

imported_ekkie Thai Dragon

I've found the sidelight on these units cause the greatest amount of power drain. If you can utilize the overhead lights to your satisfaction, you'll greatly enhance the battery life.

I recently flew from Japan to the US on United Air. In Business Class, we have a snake-light that we can maneuver (in addition to the overhead light). Taking notes, reading email, doing regular PIM stuff, as well as a few movies... I used my iPaq for a total of six hours on the flight and still had 66% battery left (which would put me on pace for 18 hours on a full charge).

Granted, I wasn't using it constantly and wasn't playing intensive games or videos for extended periods, but even if I cut that battery life by half, I'd still have enough to leave the unit on for the entire flight.

Ekkie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.