Flygrip

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by jigwashere, Mar 16, 2012.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I ordered the Flygrip Gravity for my GS4 the end of August. I liked it in all but I choose to carry my phone in a case attached to my belt. The Flygrip at that time made my phone too thick to use it.

I just got a new case at the mall last week. This one has more room. I just check and I could make it work, but it won't slip in and out of the case as well.

Also I put my phone in a cradle in the car while driving. The Flygrip makes the phone too awkward to rest properly in the cradle.

So for me - it just does not work.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4g using Tapatalk.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
    Mi An likes this.
  2. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

If I tried putting a grip on Hookette's behind, I would get myself slapped silly. :rolleyes: :D

Mi An, lelisa13p, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm not looking forward to putting a case on my G2: I really like it the way it is. But, I am worried about dropping it, so we'll see how I like the TPU case. I'll probably attach the Flygrip to the case, although I've considered skipping the case and putting the Flygrip directly on the back. We'll see.

I wonder how well this might work:

[video=youtube;3R93bcYulTQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R93bcYulTQ[/video]

4. jigwashere

My new Diztronic TPU case and Flygrip arrived today. I have mixed feelings about adding anything to my phone, but generally happy with my purchases so far.

I got the case because I felt the phone needed a little more protection. I dropped my E4GT a few times and worried about dropping the G2. The TPU case is a perfect fit and doesn't really do anything positive or negative about the look of the phone. I didn't really like the shiny plastic of the G2, and I don't really like the dull finish of the TPU case. I certainly don't hate it and probably shouldn't have really commented.

I think I'm going to like the Flygrip. When I followed the instructions for measuring the size, it seemed clear I needed the large even though I was sure it'd be too big. But, everything they noted about sizes and that they include a spacer to make a more snug fit convinced me it'd be a safer bet to get the large. The large does work, but if I had to do it over again, I'd get a medium.

The kickstand feature is nice, and the newer Gravity style with a longer back piece makes for a great stand in either portrait or landscape. One-handed use is, as expected, perfect. It's comfortable and makes using the phone much easier for reading and watching videos.

What about the added bulk?

Well, I'm not too bothered by it. Yes, it's a very thin phone when naked, but it's also pretty tall and wide when compared to something like the iPhone. Adding extra girth isn't terrible. It's pocketable, and that's all the matters. Since I attached the Flygrip to the case, I can simply and easily remove the case when I want it more streamlined (e.g., when carrying it in the inside breast pocket of a suit coat).

If nothing else, at least I've satisfied my long curiosity about the Flygrip. I'll post again in a few days or weeks to update you on how I feel about it.

Mi An, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  5. jigwashere

Okay, 9 weeks or so later and I can tell you I really like my Flygrip and I still have it attached to my Diztronic TPU case. Yes, the combination does add bulk, but I find the tradeoff acceptable.

Holding the phone in portrait mode, the Flygrip is perfect. It does exactly what I want -- it allows me to use my phone 1-handed. The LG G2 is a big phone, but the Flygrip makes it easy to use. If I'm using my phone at lunch, I'll often put the Flygrip in kickstand configuration. It still allows me to hold the phone and use it 1-handed in portrait mode, but I can also easily set it down when I need both hands to eat.

Holding the phone in landscape mode, the Flygrip usually isn't quite as useful. I often pop-out the kickstand and hold it between my middle and ring finger, but it's not nearly as comfortable as holding the Flygrip as intended: with my fingers seated under the T-bar. No complaints, though. Without the Flygrip, I wouldn't have as many options for ways to grip my phone while watching a movie in landscape mode. I would love for Flygrip to innovate here. I certainly haven't come up with any practical ideas that would improve the Flygrip in this regard. A swivel would probably be hard to engineer without adding bulk. I did take a velcro strap used for cable management and wrapped it on the T-bar leaving just enough room for my finger to slip through. Something like that could possibly work, but the way I did it meant the T-bar wouldn't stay closed. I might experiment with a small elastic band.

The Flygrip also makes a great kickstand in both portrait and landscape mode. In addition to what I described above, I use the kickstand to watch videos while cleaning at night. With my wife and kids in bed, I put on my BT headphones, configure the Flygrip and my phone for landscape, and put on a video. I usually watch something downloaded with DroidTV or steamed from my Plex server.

All in all, I do recommend the Flygrip. A buddy of mine purchased one for his LG G2 (white) and he's happy with it, too. Coworkers were curious about it, but none of them bit.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  6. jigwashere

I took a razor to my Diztronic TPU case cutting around the Flygrip, then reattached the Flygrip directly to the back of my LG G2. Now I'm able to use my LG G2 with the Flygrip and no case, or attach the case when I want a bit more protection.

Sorry for the poor image quality, but hopefully you can see the results:

Flygrip1.jpg
    Flygrip2.jpg

Flygrip3.jpg

7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I got the flygrip but didn't like it for several reason already mentioned. A couple weeks ago I put it in my night stand. I like using it if reading from my phone in bed.

I like what you did Jig - good thinking!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

8. jigwashere

This hack reduces the bulk of the Flygrip by the thickness of the case. It's not much, but it is noticeable. Also, I have the large Flygrip, but probably should've gotten the medium. Having the Flygrip recessed a bit gives me a slightly more positive grip with my fingers.

I should note that the jagged edge of my poorly executed cut is completely hidden when the case is wrapped onto the phone and over the Flygrip.

Mi An, raspabalsa and scjjtt like this.
  9. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

From flygrip's site, suggested uses: :p
    • Read emails while holding your briefcase.
    • Great for Selfies for instagram and vine users
    • Jog on treadmill while reading the news.
    • Push a shopping cart while reviewing your grocery list.
    • Send a message while waiting for the subway.
    • Eat a sandwich while tweeting about eating.
    • Update your Facebook status while walking your dog.
    Even so, I might reconsider this when my nfc buttons arrive. I might even consider it for my kindle.

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  10. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

So yours looks like a matte black in those photos. When I go to order the jet black version it says:
    But there's no apparent way to select matte, and I'd really prefer to avoid glossy. Do you recall by chance how you specified matte? I can select the size, select the free case type and add it to my cart and never see this option. I'd ask flygrip, but I've been waiting for 2.5 weeks for them to get to my last question, so I was hoping you might recall. There is a text box on the cart page where they ask you to tell where you found out about them and what case you'd like, but I'm not sure if that'll be read while the order is packaged or if it just goes into some database to be compiled whenever they have time.

Thanks =)

RickAgresta likes this.