Flaky Text Notifications

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DTM, Sep 17, 2015.

1. DTM

DTM Intentionally left blank

Not sure if this belongs under Samsung, Android or Verizon, but here we go:

The setup:
    • Device: Samsung S4 Mini
    • Carrier: Verizon
    • Android version: 4.4.2 Kit Kat
    All was well until yesterday, then I found that text message alerts were not working properly. Using the default messaging app, it no longer vibrates when I receive a message, and the notification tone does not play all the way through. It is not consistent in how far it plays before being cut off.

What I've tried:
    • Checked and rechecked all of the settings, including blocking mode and the volume sliders. There are no issues there.
    • Deleted all messages.
    • Tried a different tone, one of the built-in ones.
    • Force stop, clear cache and data, restart, reboot, etc.
    • Tried several other messaging apps. All had problems. Some had the same issue; some vibrated, but no sound at all; some played the full tone, but didn't vibrate. I'm currently using Verizon Messenger, because that one vibrates and plays most of the tone, but even it is not consistent in whether or not it plays the full tone.
    What had changed:
    • The day before this started, I installed a custom alert tone. It worked fine for the first day, and then this started the following day. Just to be sure, I completely removed the clip from the phone and went back to a default tone. I've never had any other non-standard alert tones on the phone.
    • Immediately before I noticed this, I installed an update of Soundabout, which could easily have affected this. But I don't see complaints from other Soundabout users, and completely disabling Soundabout didn't help.
    Any ideas?

2. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

Honestly, I don't know. Soundabout seems a reputable app (you might try their forum). And since vibration is gone too, it's even more puzzling. For the notifications tones, what happens if you use headphones? Same thing, or do the sounds work?

How hard would it be to rebuild from a Factory reset? Probably what I would be tempted to try and see if the problem is gone (should be) and then just watch carefully as you restore things to see if and when it comes back. If factory reset doesn't solve it, well that really tells you something-- the phone is borked. :vbeek: :vbwink:

scjjtt, jigwashere and DTM like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Yeah, thanks for lobbing such an easy question to us, DTM! Don't you have anything a little more challenging? :confused: ;)

scjjtt likes this.
  4. DTM

I had checked the Soundabout forum, and saw one thread that had a similar issue, but that was fixed in an earlier release. And disabling Soundabout didn't help.

To thicken the plot, I just discovered something new: I've been testing this by sending texts to myself, but just discovered that when someone else texts me, it behaves differently. If the app is open, it vibrates, but no tone. If the app is not open, I get no alert at all.

Hook, let's talk factory reset. If I do that, what will I see? I'm assuming I'll still be activated, so I'll be in the position I was when I walked out of the store last year. Then once I sync with my Google accounts, the contacts, calendar and IMAP mail all come back. After that, it's a matter of reinstalling all of my apps, which shouldn't be that much of a challenge. Sound about right?

Hmmm...ever heard of the St. Petersburg paradox?

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

I want to say yes, but I don't have any experience with Verizon. It should be the case that a factory reset does not affect your phone activation. You will have to log in to your Google account like the first time you set up your phone.

scjjtt and DTM like this.
  6. DTM

I just tried restarting in Safe Mode, which disables everything that didn't come with the phone. No improvement.

I think I'm going to go for the nuclear option. Film at 11. (Yes I know. Those of you under 60 don't understand that.)

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm under 60. We always had film at 10 - Central Time zone. ;)

Hook likes this.
  8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

DTM, I've done hard resets of Android phones on Verizon. If you have a SIM in it, you're activated, and if it's a CDMA phone, as long as the EIN is linked to your VZ account still you're fine. You would have to work to disable it. :)

9. DTM

Well, you would have to work to disable it. I tend to break things effortlessly.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  10. DTM

OK, so it's "film at 11:35".

Hard reset, rather painless recovery (good call, QF), but no change.

Tomorrow, I go see the friendly folks at Verizon. Can hardly wait.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.