First Time 4G was Virtually a Necessity!

Discussion in 'Sprint PCS' started by internetpilot, Nov 27, 2011.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

The immediate family and a few members of the extended family went to Universal Studios Orlando for the Thanksgiving holiday, and I had an interesting issue with 3G/4G service and battery life on my HTC Evo 4G.

Even though I had active 3G coverage in the area, and 4/5-5/5 bars on my phone radio, my battery was draining down to nothing in about 3 hours. I wasn't running my phone any differently than I do at home. It was really weird. Then I tried to send a photo MMS to my daughter (she was with us) who has an new iPhone 4s, and she couldn't receive it. Never happened before. All of the family was complaining about slow data/internet speeds on the phone. I couldn't figure out what was going on, but it was ticking me off.

Then it occurred to me as I looked around the park -- EVERYONE has a smartphone. EVERYONE. About 3% of the people had cameras, and 97% of the people were using their phone cameras, and texting, and Facebooking, and Tweeting, and surfing, and, and, and, and... It was a bandwidth issue!

Now here's the funny part -- normally, I avoid using 4G because it's such a battery drain. I turned on 4G and got a 2/3 bar signal, my battery drain slowed down to almost what it typically is on 3G, and my response time for anything internet was instantaneous. Never been so happy to own a good ol' WiMax 4G phone! Apparently, few people are using it because my bandwidth issues disappeared! ;)

Long live WiMax 4G! :newpalm:

2. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Now you know why so many iPhone users (and others) complain in Manhattan. 8 million people are walking around EVERY DAY, bowed down in devotion to their phones. And now, that's supplemented by a sea of tourists.

3. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Ah, Shannon's law in action. 4G will get there eventually, hopefully before 5G becomes virtually a necessity, this will make life easier.

When my 2.4ghz router started experiencing tons of interference, bombarded by networks on all sides with no clear channels, I thought about going 11n and 5ghz, but it didn't take me long to realize everyone else would get dual channel routers and clog all channels on both frequencies. I put some money into powerline adapters instead. I still have crappy wireless, but at least I have a clean way to stream video across stationary outlets.

4. internetpilot

Now I know why all Sprint subscribers groaned at the announcement of the iPhone coming to Sprint.

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

IP, interestingly, there hasn't been a peep (that I've heard anyway) about how the iPhone would be just as bad on Verizon and Sprint when they sold a bunch. It doesn't seem to be true for the most part. I guess you did experience it though on 3G (if anyone in your party had iPhones).

6. internetpilot

Yup, the daughter and oldest son both have a Verizon iPhone 4s, and they were having the same issues as I was on 3G. We were probably using the same towers, as I have my phone set to roam to the strongest tower, because my plan includes unlimited roaming.

Just out of curiosity, I turned on my wimax detector app on the way to and from school today, and there's 4G all over that route now, whereas there was only a few 4G spots on that same route just 6 months ago. So much for phasing out wimax 4G....

7. internetpilot

Actually, I was citing the complaint from the other direction -- all the other Sprint users not using iPhones being impacted by the Apple data hogs coming over to the Sprint network. I've already lost my Sprint Premier benefits because Sprint had to fork out so much $$$ to Apple to get the iPhone. I better not start losing bandwidth or having my data limited. I was perfectly happy when the iPhone was on AT&T only.